Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-AP1832I-E-K9 - Secondary AP DHCP Issue

Dear all, 

I have some AP  AIR-AP1832I-E-K9. One of this is configured as Primary and master controller and all others are configured as AP ME Capable.

I have configured a new Vlan (for mobile devices) and configured for this, a DHCP pool server using Mobility Express as Gateway.

After applied all settings, in 1-2 minutes I can see new SSID on all APs. If I try to connect on new wifi network, the connection works only if the device is under coverage of primary AP. If I change the AP, the connectin failed on DHCP IP assignement.

It seems to be a problem on all secondary AP.

Can you help me to understand where if  have to do somethings?

tnx.

Alex.

13 Replies 13

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Can you see any activity in the dhcp server's logs for clients on AP2

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hi, 

I have no visibility of DHCP Server (is ISP Routerboard).

if you refer to cisco AP dhcp, I don't know how to see.

tnx.

Alex.

- You need to be able to somehow verify if the intended dhcp server for use, can see requests from clients on ap2 - or is seeing them, check the logs of the dhcp server.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hi,

Can you help me about logging?

I think I have to enable. On logging page I don't find log view, only level but how I can show the log?

And other thing, can I see AP02/03 etc info log from AP01 controller page?
On the others AP, the primary Vlan is working fine. Only Vlan have DHCP have troubles.
Thanks in advance for your support.

Hi,

Are all your AP's primary and secondary connected to the same switch? If so then are the switch port configuration same for all the ports?

Hi, 

about log, I don't know how I have to chek

about switch, yes, second AP is on the same primary switch and the port are identically configured.

Ap 3 and 4 are on different switch but same issue.

tnx.

Hi,

Please confirm if all AP's ports are configured trunk and also all VLANS are allowed.

Also is your primary VLAN 1 for the SSID which is working fine? If so try using separate VLANs other than the native VLAN 1.

Hi, 

Vlan is configured only on the Mobility Express controller.

Ther is no Vlan configured on switch.

May be this the source of problem?

however, On AP1 (Controller) the SSID/DHCP/VLAN2 work fine.

Immediately the device receive correct IP and Internet and applications work.

shut down the device wifi, move device under ap2 coverage, start wifi and "waiting for dhcp ip address..."

The primary Vlan work fine on all APs.

Yes you need to configure the L2 VLANs on the switch then only the request for dhcp can go through.

Is you DHCP configured in the controller only or some other location for the SSID which is not working?

The SSID is configured only in the controller. Other APs, are slave and after applied policy all use same configuration.

My question is: Why this SSID on primary controller work fine and on the other no?

All APs are connected and configured in the same way.

in fact, there is no phisical DHCP server for Vlan assigned for this SSID  but only in Mobility Express.

Ok, one question does this happen only when you switch off the primary controller or when the primary controller is active and you try to connect your device to the secondary AP?

Also to see logs you can issue the below command on the controller cli

debug client <mac address>
debug dhcp packet enable

The issue is permanent condition with controller on-line. 

last test:

On controller I have deleted SSID.

Deleted DHCP

Create a new DHCP

Create a new SSID and associate to Vlan (nr. 60) with DHCP (new one)

Saved changes.

Connection test on AP controller: OK!!!

shutdown WiFi on device.

I went to other AP. Switch ON WiFi and automatically device try to connect to SSID but after waiting few minutes... nothing!!

Under Primary AP, immediately connect.

about CLI command, I need to do a SSH connection to primary AP? (putty it's OK?)

regards, 

Ale.

When troubleshooting a DHCP client, you must understand certain issues about configuring the client and client-server communication. DHCP may fail to configure the client properly, either because DHCP could not communicate with a server, or because, although configuration responses were received, they were incorrect. Problems can also occur later in the life of a DHCP lease if the client cannot renew its IP addresses.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: