Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-AP1832I-E-K9C does not join 2504 WLC

I want/need to configure a bunch of APs at an existing site (16 existing and 16 new APs).

The site currently runs a 2504 WLC:

(Cisco Controller) >show sysinfo 

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.
Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller
Product Version.................................. 8.3.132.0
Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.20
Field Recovery Image Version..................... 7.6.101.1
Firmware Version................................. PIC 20.0

OUI File Update Time............................. Sun Sep 07 10:44:07 IST 2014

Build Type....................................... DATA + WPS

System Name...................................... irrelevant
System Location.................................. 
System Contact................................... 
System ObjectID.................................. 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1279
IP Address....................................... 10.6.1.5
IPv6 Address..................................... fd10:6:1::5
Last Reset....................................... Software reset
System Up Time................................... 10 days 5 hrs 45 mins 40 secs
System Timezone Location......................... 
System Stats Realtime Interval................... 5
System Stats Normal Interval..................... 180

Configured Country............................... DE  - Germany
Operating Environment............................ Commercial (0 to 40 C)
Internal Temp Alarm Limits....................... 0 to 65 C
Internal Temperature............................. +30 C
External Temperature............................. +33 C
Fan Status....................................... 3500 rpm

State of 802.11b Network......................... Enabled
State of 802.11a Network......................... Enabled
Number of WLANs.................................. 2
Number of Active Clients......................... 17

OUI Classification Failure Count................. 0

Burned-in MAC Address............................ DC:EB:94:94:01:E0
Maximum number of APs supported.................. 75
System Nas-Id.................................... irrelevant
WLC MIC Certificate Types........................ SHA1/SHA2

The management interface runs on VLAN 0, guest traffic is routed through VLAN 3, an Aruba 2530 PoE switch powers a few of the new APs (it already powers a subset of the existing APs, so I know the VLAN config is correct here). On the gateway (which runs the DHCP server and a local DNS cache), I can see the DHCP pakets. A ping to the AP (from both the gateway and the WLC succeedes).

Despite previously not needing it, I now have setup both a local DNS entry for cisco-capwap-controller, and DHCP option 43:

# fgrep vendor /usr/local/etc/dnsmasq.conf
dhcp-option=vendor:Cisco AP,241,0a:06:01:05

I know, I should differentiate between the known vendor classes, as described per this document, but since I only have 1700 and 1830 series access points, a generic match to "Cisco AP" ought to suffice).

Anyway, I can see the correct results in this DHCP ACK option sent to the APs (cut from wireshark):

Option: (43) Vendor-Specific Information
  Length: 7
  Value: fa040a06050105ff
Option: (60) Vendor class identifier
  Length: 14
  Vendor class identifier: Cisco AP c1830
Option: (255) End 

In the CLI, debug capwap events enable does not show anything, which makes debugging a little hard. What am I missing here?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Holm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Julian,

The 'C' at the end of the SKU indicates the AP was delivered with Mobility Express image, meaning that it starts up the Mobility Express persona by default, in addition to the AP persona. If that is the case, the AP likely joins the local ME controller instead of the 2504 (I believe the master controller option is set when the ME controller responds to the discovery request, so the AP prefers the ME controller). To verify, connect to AP via the console. If you get a WLC-style CLI instead of the usual AP CLI, the ME controller persona has started. If this is a brand new AP, the controller part likely haven't been configured, so. you may need to run through the controller setup. Just be aware not to put this on a network where you have production APs running - there's a small chance they may switch to the ME WLC.

Once you have access to the WLC CLI, you can switch the AP to a CAPWAP-only mode with the following sequence:

apciscoshell <-- to get to the AP console

enable <-- Cisco/Cisco as default

ap-type capwap

The AP will then reboot and come up in pure AP mode with no controller functionality.

Alternatively, If the AP itself has acquired an IP address, you should be able to SSH straight into it and just do the enable/ap-type capwap commands only.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark Holm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Julian,

The 'C' at the end of the SKU indicates the AP was delivered with Mobility Express image, meaning that it starts up the Mobility Express persona by default, in addition to the AP persona. If that is the case, the AP likely joins the local ME controller instead of the 2504 (I believe the master controller option is set when the ME controller responds to the discovery request, so the AP prefers the ME controller). To verify, connect to AP via the console. If you get a WLC-style CLI instead of the usual AP CLI, the ME controller persona has started. If this is a brand new AP, the controller part likely haven't been configured, so. you may need to run through the controller setup. Just be aware not to put this on a network where you have production APs running - there's a small chance they may switch to the ME WLC.

Once you have access to the WLC CLI, you can switch the AP to a CAPWAP-only mode with the following sequence:

apciscoshell <-- to get to the AP console

enable <-- Cisco/Cisco as default

ap-type capwap

The AP will then reboot and come up in pure AP mode with no controller functionality.

Alternatively, If the AP itself has acquired an IP address, you should be able to SSH straight into it and just do the enable/ap-type capwap commands only.

Thanks, that solved my problem.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
AP is loaded with Mobility Express firmware and needs to be converted to CAPWAP.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card