cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-CAP1602E-E-K9 in UK (Regulatory Power Settings)

ian-heath
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco Aironet AP (AIR-CAP1602E-E-K9) which will be used in the UK.

As I understand it this device is able to exceed the UK standards in relation to power.

My question is what configuration changes do I need to make to the AP to ensure it adheres to these regulations (but provides the maximum coverage).

FYI, I'm using it in standalone mode.

6 Replies 6

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As -E is the regulatory Domain for UK, which means, this Access point will adhere to all RF regulations of that country.

Cisco will not infringe any regulations of a particular country with its products, hence I don't think you have to be cautious in terms of power.

However, in case you want to configure the power levels manually you can configure Radio transmit power.

Radio transmit power is based on the radio installed in your access point/ and the regulatory domain in which it operates. Rather than listing all transmit power variations for every regulatory domain.

You can use commands starting from "power..." to configure the power settings of the radio.

For more details check the IOS configuration guide, you'll be using on your Auto AP.

-Thanks

Vinod

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Thanks for your thoughts.

I've just looked at this: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compliance/reference/guide/1600_EU.html and is seems to show that the regulatory limit is 17 dBm (when using AIR-ANT2524DW-R antennas).

Looking at the IOS config options is seems that I would have to choose 15 (since the next option is 18)

ap(config-if)#power local ?
  <9 - 18>  One of: 18 15 12 9
  maximum   Set power to allowed maximum

As per the link you shared, the limit is 17dBm. Whereas the syntax for command 'power local' is in milliwatts.

To set the maximum power level, use the maximum syntax. The default local power level is maximum. Below are the details for command 'power local'.

power local

To configure the access point radio power level, use the power local command in interface configuration mode. To use the default value of maximum power, use the no form of this command.

2.4-GHz Access Point Radio (802.11b/g)

power local {cck | ofdm} {milliwatt | maximum}

no power local

5-GHz Access Point Radio (802.11a)

power local {milliwatt | maximum}

no power local

Syntax Description

cck

Sets Complimentary Code Keying (CCK) power levels.

ofdm

Sets Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM) power levels.

milliwatt

Power level in milliwatts (mW). For the 802.11b/g radio, value can be 7, 10, 13, 15, 17, or 20. For the 802.11a radio, value can be 4, 7, 10, 13, or 16.

maximum

Specifies the maximum power level.

Command Default

The default local power level is maximum.

Pankajrai
Level 1
Level 1

We have purchased wireless AP AIR-SAP1602E-E-K9 in India but just noticed that wireless complaince model is -N not -E.Just wanted to know that will it technically work or not.

Your better off to return that and get the proper ap model. 

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Please refer to the following post for similar query:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12336161/how-can-i-change-regulatory-domain-c-access-point

Hope that helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card