Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-CAP702I-E-K9 - Home WIFI + Handover

jaddel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

i got 8 cisco ap's from our companies it admin he dosen't need anymore...

Is there an easy and low cost way how i could use these ap's for my home network including a working wifi handover.

thanks for any information!

best regards Max 

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I don’t think this will be easy for you to be honest. First off, you would need to pier each AP and have an Ethernet cable run to each location.

Now since this model you posted is a lightweight AP, if you don’t have a controller, then you need to convert then from lightweight to autonomous. You will not be able to download that image so you must ask your IT person.

Once you get the image and convert the AP, all the documentation you have can be found here.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/wireless/aironet-702i-access-point/model.html#~tab-downloads

So before adding more information, tell us if you can power up each AP or how many you will end up using, get the Autonomous image and successfully converted them.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

thanks for ur reply.

im not sure if i am able to get the autonomous image. Till i meet our it person again it will take a while... 

However maybe there will another solution to this. 

So far i have Ethernet Cable's in each room of the house. My plan was to buy a small poE Switch with around 8 ports. Minimum i would like to install 4 AP's maximum 8. 

When the AP's operate in autonomous mode, are they still able to do a wifi roaming? 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card