cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-LAP-1142N-E-K9 unexpected power offs

gareth.burgess
Level 1
Level 1

Hi we have two seperate Cisco wireless networks both based around the same infrastructure.

Cisco 5508 WLC/s running 7.4.100 Firmware in our datacentre, with AIR-LAP-1142N-E-K9 LAPS distributed at site offices.

This infrastructure has been running well until recently when we have had a spate of the LAPS appearing to power off.

The LAP appears to be off with no LED status light as if it has been powered off, but the power supplies are still connected and the LAPS are often warm to the touch as if drawing power even when they have been "off" for a couple of days.

Unplugging the power supply (at the LAP) and re-applying brings the LAP back on.

The LAPS involved all used the recommended Cisco manufactured power supplies as there was no POE/power injector infrastructure.

The LAPS vanish from the WLC as if disconnected, without any apparent errors in the WLC logs.

There are no crash logs for the LAPS which have powered off.

Console output from a LAP which has powered off on startup just shows the AP coming back from a "cold start".

LAPS operate normally after restart, but after avariable period, typically 2-7 days will power off again.

This is happening across multiple sites, to LAPS connected to different WLCs.

Has anyone seen this issue before?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The LAP appears to be off with no LED status light as if it has been powered off, but the power supplies are still connected and the LAPS are often warm to the touch as if drawing power even when they have been "off" for a couple of days.

Gareth,

Just want to make sure you are using a power brick/power injector.  Can you please confirm?

Had issues with 7.4 when I noticed that some of my APs, running in PoE, would suddenly get "lost".  They would suddenly reboot and they wouldn't negotiate PoE properly.  I had to manually shut down the ports for at least 5 seconds.  If I don't leave it off for that long the APs simply won't boot up.

Ever since I've moved to 7.5, I haven't seen this happen.

There is a well-known bug, can't seem to find it, about 1140 and WLC firmware 7.4.  If I remembered correctly, the bug describes what you are seeing.

You may want investigate in using 7.5.

View solution in original post

Jacob Snyder
Level 5
Level 5

Leo, I disagree with suggesting 7.5. Try upgrading to 7.4.110.0. This has been very stable for me and has a large number of fixes over 7.4.100.0. I always suggest waiting for a maintenance release in any code train.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

ccnbdieppe
Level 1
Level 1

We are having the same issue here. What version of code are you running on the wlc? we are running

We are also running 7.4.100.0 across the board

Gareth,

Just want to make sure you are using a power brick/power injector.  Can you please confirm?

Had issues with 7.4 when I noticed that some of my APs, running in PoE, would suddenly get "lost".  They would suddenly reboot and they wouldn't negotiate PoE properly.  I had to manually shut down the ports for at least 5 seconds.  If I don't leave it off for that long the APs simply won't boot up.

Ever since I've moved to 7.5, I haven't seen this happen.

There is a well-known bug, can't seem to find it, about 1140 and WLC firmware 7.4.  If I remembered correctly, the bug describes what you are seeing.

You may want investigate in using 7.5.

Jacob Snyder
Level 5
Level 5

Leo, I disagree with suggesting 7.5. Try upgrading to 7.4.110.0. This has been very stable for me and has a large number of fixes over 7.4.100.0. I always suggest waiting for a maintenance release in any code train.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Thanks - following the posts we did some searching through the Cisco Bug List and found the bug CSCud97983 which describes the same issue as we were seeing.

We have upgraded one of our WLCs to 7.4.110.0 and this appears to have resolved the issue. (12 days and counting )

Thanks for the advice

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card