cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-LAP1131AG-A-K9 - can this AP be "rolled back" to IOS?

Jennifer Huber
Level 1
Level 1

I have a handfull of AIR-LAP1131AG-A-K9 1130 model APs that we ordered as lightweight. I need to know if these APs can be downgraded to IOS in the same manner as autonomous APs are upgraded/downgraded. I would like to deploy the 1130s as autonomous APs, and then upgrade to LWAPP as part of a planned project.

6 Replies 6

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jennifer,

I have not performed this "rollback" to IOS but have read about this in the forum.My understanding is that you can use this method (below) to convert a LWAPP 1131 back to IOS regardless of how it was shipped/ordered;

Converting a Lightweight Access Point Back to Autonomous Mode

You can convert an access point from lightweight mode back to autonomous mode by loading a Cisco IOS Release that supports autonomous mode (Cisco IOS release 12.3(7)JA or earlier). If the access point is associated to a controller, you can use the controller to load the Cisco IOS release. If the access point is not associated to a controller, you can load the Cisco IOS release using TFTP.

Using a TFTP Server to Return to a Previous Release

Follow these steps to revert from LWAPP mode to autonomous mode by loading a Cisco IOS release using a TFTP server:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 The static IP address of the PC on which your TFTP server software runs should be between 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.30.

Step 2 Make sure that the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar for a 1200 series access point) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP server is activated.

Step 3 Rename the access point image file in the TFTP server folder to c1200-k9w7-tar.default for a 1200 series access point, c1130-k9w7-tar.default for an 1130 series access point, and c1240-k9w7-tar.default for a 1240 series access point.

Step 4 Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 5 Disconnect power from the access point.

Step 6 Press and hold MODE while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 7 Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds) and then release.

Step 8 Wait until the access point reboots, as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

Step 9 After the access point reboots, reconfigure it using the GUI or the CLI.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_technical_reference09186a00804fc3dc.html#wp160545

Here is a thread from February of this year that details this situation;

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Wireless%20-%20Mobility&topic=Getting%20Started%20with%20Wireless&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1dda8106/5#selected_message

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.......

Thanks Rob,

I have read that document before, but I was upgrading/downgrading a 1200 AP, and my mind did not see the section regarding the 1300 series AP.

Thanks much, now I can start getting rid of the 350s that I still have in my WLAN!!

Hi Jennifer,

No worries! Glad to help (sometimes it just takes another set of eyes doesn't it). Can you please let me know how this works if you get a chance, I'd be curious to know.

Thanks

Rob

I was able to "roll back" the AP that was purchased as lighweight in the same manner as the 1200s that I've "upgraded" to lightweight mode. It was a piece of cake. Now I'm working on a config template to make the "downgrade" and install more streamlined in my wlan environment.

Thanks for the assist!

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for taking the time for the update! Its always nice to hear how something works in reality vs theory.Like you said,I guess this means more work for you pulling out the 350's, but I think you will be happy you did.

Take care!

Rob

Can you please share your piece of cake. I get %Error opening (no such file or directory)Loading "flash:/c1130-rcvk9w8-mx/c1130-rcvk9w8-mx

as it loads the LWAPP image

Thanks, Jerry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card