cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-LAP1242AG stopped working

James May
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning.  Having an issue with one of our WAPs.  It is an AIR-LAP1242AG-A-K9.  We had a controlled power outage.  Prior to the power being shut off, all devices were powered down. Once power was restored, this unit did not return to service.  I cannot find any information on the LED codes either as it is different that was is listed in the manual.

Here's what is happening.  When the unit is powered up,  Ethernet is off,  radio blinks green and the status is a light blue/greenish color.  After a few seconds, the network led comes on and it's solid green, radio is solid green and status turns solid green.

After about a minute, all lights go out, status turns white then dull green.  the ethernet will start to blink green.

1) Shortly after, the network will blink green, radio will blink red, and status will cycle through the colors.  Then it will stop with the network being green, radio off and status is pink.

2) It will sit that way for a few minutes, then the cycle restarts with the ethernet blinking green, radio blinks red and status cycles colors.  This time it ends with the ethernet off, radio red and status pink.

3) it will cycle again and then the ethernet and radio will be off and the status will be pink.

It will sit for a couple minutes and start the process over again.  Just loops with the two steps mentioned above.

This occurs under both power methods, POE or regular power cord.

I can see and ping the IP of the device however the WLC does not pick it up.

I'm at a bit of a loss here.  Can't figure out how to get it back in service.  If anyone can assist, that would be great.

Thanks kindly,

James

16 Replies 16

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

James May
Level 1
Level 1

I did just notice these entries in the log file:

*spamApTask2: Mar 05 13:35:52.003: #DTLS-3-HANDSHAKE_FAILURE: openssl_dtls.c:681 Failed to complete DTLS handshake with peer 10.1.20.54 for AP c4:7d:4f:30:92:2a

For Version 7.0.252.0, use this command:

(WLC)>config ap lifetime-check {mic|ssc} enable
For Versions 7.4.140.0 and later, use this command:

(WLC)>config ap cert-expiry-ignore {mic|ssc} enable

what is the command for?

I need to check to see what version of software is on the controller.

Thanks

In your response below you said 7.4.

So in CLI:

config ap cert-expiry-ignore mic enable

config ap cert-expiry-ignore ssc enable

This is to allow expired Manufactured Installed certificates/Self-signed certificates in AP to join the controller.

Oh you're under 7.4.140, so:
config ap lifetime-check mic enable
config ap lifetime-check ssc enable

Once you have this configured, you can have your NTP config back to have to right time and not mess up the monitoring systems/syslogs if you use one.

Oh you're under 7.4.140, so:
config ap lifetime-check mic enable
config ap lifetime-check ssc enable

I connected to the 2504 and attempted to issue the commands above. It comes back saying "Incorrect usage"

when issuing the config ap ? command, the lifetime-check option isn't listed.

How about:

config ap cert-expiry-ignore mic enable
config ap cert-expiry-ignore ssc enable

just tried that one as well and the same "Incorrect usage". The cert-expiry is not an option in the list of commands

If those commands are not available then you need to upgrade WLC IOS.  If you can download and upgrade to 8.0.152.0 MD.

Double check the supported APs, aside from 1242s you have are supported in this release, under Table 3 Software Support for Access Points.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn80mr5.html

i was just reading that. That's the highest I can go without upgrading these APs.

I think you first need to upgrade to a later 7.4.x release.

running version 7.4.121.0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card