Views
Helpful
Replies

Airmagnet interference and CU

latintrpt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I recently had a site survey completed at my site.  After taking a look at the survey results, I noticed that there was tons of channel interference on the 5 GHz radio every where.  Interfer Severity almost 100%. 

So I took a look at Cisco Prime of the areas and I noticed that channel utilization looked fine on the 5GHz radio, anywhere from 0% - 5%.  So what impact is the channel interference really having on my channel utilization?  Am I really having a problem that I need to address?

Thank You

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Any device that uses a specific channel will bring up the channel utilization along with the traffic on that channel from devices. Also AP's on the same channel will also increase the utilization.

When you say that the survey showed 100% interference, what interferences were found?  If the survey tool was not set to identify your SSID's, then that information can be misleading.  

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

The interference that was found is strictly co-channel interference.  They did a passive survey on just one SSID and it reports that channel overlap in certain areas was 100% for 5GHz.

Well... was he passive survey done right after an install?  You can look at the survey and see what AP's are affected and what channel. Then look at the AP on the co triller and current channel and see if the channel has changed. Then you can also issue a show AP auto-RF 802.11a <AP name> which will show you the utilization for that AP.  Survey is taken at that moment in time and RRM can change to help reduce RF overlap.

-Scott 

-Scott

A couple of thing I should've noted is that one controller is running 7.0.220 and the other controller is running 7.2.110.0 when the surveys were completed.  We are migrating over to an 8510 that is running 8.0.133.0.  Will this make a difference in RRM (TPC/DCA)?

It shouldn't, but then again, if there is a bug, you can see some difference.  Survey however doesn't care too much about code, but if your looking at data from the wireless side, it may change but shouldn't. 

if you are not seeing "bad" things when looking at cleanair info or using the auto-RF, then you need to look at the AirMagnet survey settings.

-Scott 

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card