cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1041N support for 802.11b/g?

mathias
Level 1
Level 1

I'm thinking of replacing our old HP based WiFi network with a Cisco controller based one.

I'm thinking of getting the following:

* Cisco 2504 controller with 25 AP license

* 6 pcs 1142N APs for covering the office where most people work (about 25 people)

* 10 pcs 1041N APs for covering the datacenters and various conference rooms

Just want to verify, does the 1041N AP support old 802.11b and g clients? I guess that will be a requirement to support visiting customers with older laptops.

Any other thoughts?

- Mathias

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

yes, all the Cisco 11N AP are backwards compatable to support legacy B/G clients.

IMO, I would stick with the 1142, or maybe the 3502i, vs mixing in the 1042.

the 1142/3502 are 2:3-2 (2 transmitters 3 receivers 2 spacial streams),

the 1042 is 2:2-2 ( 2 transmiters 2 receivers and 2 spacial streams).

The difference here is what rate you can get with 11N.  Keepig teh 1142 in your datacenter and conference rooms, allows the connected clients to keep a higher rate allowing them to pass data faster.

HTH,

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the question as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

yes, all the Cisco 11N AP are backwards compatable to support legacy B/G clients.

IMO, I would stick with the 1142, or maybe the 3502i, vs mixing in the 1042.

the 1142/3502 are 2:3-2 (2 transmitters 3 receivers 2 spacial streams),

the 1042 is 2:2-2 ( 2 transmiters 2 receivers and 2 spacial streams).

The difference here is what rate you can get with 11N.  Keepig teh 1142 in your datacenter and conference rooms, allows the connected clients to keep a higher rate allowing them to pass data faster.

HTH,

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the question as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Ill piggy back on Steve's comment.

The 1042 has a 2:2x2. What this means is 2 antennas will receive. In contrast the 1142 is a 2x3:2. The 1142 has 3 antennas to receive on.

Think of it like this. You have 2 ears, if I gave you a 3rd ear in the back of your head you could hear a lot better and increase your receive sensitively, right. In the process keeping a better connection in theory.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks for your quick reply.

I was even considering the 1041N in the DCs (not the 1042). The reason why I'm considering this is of cource for economical reasons, and because the WiFi won't be used that much in the DCs. The DCs are normally non-staffed, so the WiFi network will only be used by visiting customers that need to check their e-mail, do some web surfing and download some new firmwares and such while they are working on their servers. No body is going to sit there working all days.

Don't you think the 1041N will be sufficient for such environments?

My 2 pennys it sounds like it would ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

One thing I hate about WLAN in a DC is this:  Too many metal racks.

If one has to put WAPs in DC's then one has to do a wireless site surveys. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card