cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1100 Series not allowing GUI or Telnet

waitkusj83
Level 1
Level 1

I have a couple of Aironet 1100 series APs that should be connecting with a Cisco WLC 4400. Started with one that was seen but not set to the correct radio setting but the WC didn't have a place to reconfigure that setting which I could see. So using the Controller I set the AP back to default settings and now I cannot even access the device. I can ping the IP address fine but that's it. The status indicators are all blinking at different times right after each other on the AP. The Ethernet Status blinks green then the link blinks red and the radio then blinks amber. I have tried hooking it up to a laptop and setting the IP on the laptop to 10.0.0.2 and trying to use the default IP address. I downloaded the IPSU from Cisco and entered the mac but it will not respond at all to the utility. I also tried reset the using the mode button on the back of the AP. The frustrating things is that I can't access the web GUI so I can reconfigure this AP to be reconginized by the Wireless controller again. The second AP is showing the same signs but it was working yesterday and I haven't touched its configuration at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

John

5 Replies 5

Jeffrey Keown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi John,

specifically what model of 1100 ap is this?

If it's an 1121(no console) and you're unsure of what ip address to use for management, connect to it via wired ethernet and capture a sniffer trace until you see traffic coming from it.

with that, you should be able to determine what subnet your management/recovery pc needs to be on.

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply!

It is a LAP 1121G. I tried the packet sniffer and got nothing out of it. I tried with it connected to the LAN and directly to the laptop and the most I got was a MAC address which I already had from the back of the unit. I did find an IP with it on a LAN via my DHCP Server however I still can not access the Web GUI on it. I've checked the logs in the controller and there is nothing (on the web gui side of things) that seems to be occuring with this AP plugged in. Did this AP just up and die on me? The lights (according to the manual) indicate it is looking to join to a controller but since I left it plugged in over night and it was still flashing the same this morning I assume this is not the case. The odd thing is I would think using the IP utility from Cisco (on the same subnet) that by using the layer 2 MAC address I would at least be able to communicate with the AP. I just get an error that says "Device does not answer".

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

John

Hi John,

Is there any possiblity that this 1121 is running an IOS/Autonomous image?

If it's connected to a cisco switch, try 'show cdp nei x/x detail'.

If that works, you'll be looking for either a 'w7' or 'w8' in the software image name.

w8 = lightweight

w7 = standalone

I just tested resetting an 1121 to factory defaults by holding down the mode button, the starting it up with a sniffer attached.

Mine reverted to an IOS recovery image and was sending out tftp requests sourced from 10.0.0.1.  It's looking for a particular file as part of the recovery mechanism.  c1100-k9w7-tar.default.

It gives up on that after a bit then starts sending out dhcp discovers.

You might want to replicate my steps and set up a recovery image on a tftp server as documented here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/wireless/access_point/12.2_11_JA/configuration/guide/s11trb.html#wp1040300

If you can get it back up in autonmous mode, you should be able to then convert it to lightweight.

hth

Jeff,

I appreciate all the suggestions that you have given me but it looks as if this thing is dead in the water. The only thing I get out of the wireshark results is a LOOP with the AP's MAC address. I also can't restore it as I have no image file to restore to and no sub with Cisco's Smartnet to obtain one. Lesson's for the future I guess. Just purchased a new AP to replace this one.

Again, Thanks for all the help.

John

Hi John,

yep, I think you've been dilligent enough to determine that ap's done for

glad to help.

Jeff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card