Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1242 AG as Repeater

Hi

I want to setup a bridge between two sites. The root bridge which is installed at the first site cannot cover the second site's area. For this reason I want to use a repeater between these sites to increase the signal's strength.

I have 3 aironet 1242 AG

1. root bridge

2. repeater

3. non root bridge

I can't make this scenario play. The Repeater cannot repeat the signal from the root and the non root bridge cannot associate with the root bridge.

Can you Help me?

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't think this will work... You need to look into a higher gain antenna perhaps to get your signal across.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi,

Why don't you try to have the following connectivity

Non-Root----Root----Non-Root

Now depending upon the distance of root and non root bridges you need to decide whether you can go with an omnidirectional antenna at the root bridge.

Non-Root would have high gain directional antennas.

What you can do is to have a directional splitter at the root bridge and direct the signals in only two directions instead of 360degree horizontal coverage.

or else second option is -

Non-Root---Root---ethernet---Root---Non-Root.

Directional antennas on all bridges.

Repeater option is not going to work.

Let me know the distances between the two locations and the intemediate location where you were planing to have the repeater.

-> Sushil

Hey John I realized that you have 1242AG series. I guess following should be ideal for you -

Non-Root--802.11A--Root--802.11G--Non-Root

All directional antennas. Central Bridge would use both the radios while bridge on one end would use 802.11A while on the other end would use 802.11G.

-> Sushil

Thank you for your answers, but can I make a repeater for a bridge between root and non root?

If this is what you are ralking about -

Root----Repeater----Non-Root

I don't think so.

Get rid of the repeater and use a higher gain directional on both ends.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: