cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1300 series as wireless client ?

neilmac
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there.

I would like to install a device on a yacht so that when the yacht enters a marina, it can connect to the marina wifi and then make that connection available to the yacht network. I am looking for a cisco device that will do similar to the Smartbridge Nexus (http://www.smartbridges.com/products/accesspoints.asp), which have done the job adequately in the past.

I was thinking of using a 1300 series outdoor unit, does anyone know if I can use it in the way I plan, or if there is an alternative.

Many thanks,

Neil

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

Not even sure you can buy 350 bridges any more?!

All you need to do it to buy an AP and put it in workgroup bridge mode. The AP will connect to the network just like any normal WLAN client, away you go!

Whether or not the marina uses thin or thick APs has nothing to do with it - just connect with a WGB and off you go.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ksannedhi
Level 1
Level 1

There are couple of options for you.

1. Cisco 350 series workgroup bridge - this will connect to the marina wi-fi and provide wired access to the yacht. If you connect a hub to the WGB's output, you can spread the connection among multiple laptops.

2. Also explore an option of using any Cisco AP as a repeater. A repeater will connect to the marina wi-fi wirelessly and extend the network to the yacht. But please note that the data rate may not be that good because of an extra hop in the middle.

For both these options to work, the marina wi-fi must be autonomous AP deployment based. If it is a lightweight-based wi-fi with a controller none of these options will work.

HTH

Many thanks for the reply.

The yachts obviously travel around to different marinas, so there may be many different types of devices providing the wifi signal.

The main point is that I can administer the device while connecting it to the network, then share that connection.

I will check out the 350.

Many thanks,

Neil

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

Not even sure you can buy 350 bridges any more?!

All you need to do it to buy an AP and put it in workgroup bridge mode. The AP will connect to the network just like any normal WLAN client, away you go!

Whether or not the marina uses thin or thick APs has nothing to do with it - just connect with a WGB and off you go.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: