cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 3802 Installation

dcgtechnologies
Level 1
Level 1

I purchased a Cisco Aironet 3802 AIR-AP3802I-B-K9. I have a 3750G Switch that is POE. I know it is not POE+, but I was wondering if the Aironet 3802 will work with the 3750G switch until I get a new switch to upgrade to POE+. Will it be sufficient to run? I also was wondering does this AP require a WLC in order for it work on a network. This AP is replacing an Aironet 1040. I use that one as a standalone AP. Can the Aironet 3802 work as a standalone AP? I have done some research and all it mentions is a WLC in order to authenticate. Thank you in advance. 

15 Replies 15

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The AP can operate in a limited function with PoE.  The higher speed MCS is disabled. 

In  regards for WLC, the AP can be loaded with Mobility Express IOS and this turns the AP into an WLC.  

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
To add to Leo's point, here is a link for you to review the power options and outcome:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-3/b_cisco_aironet_series_2800_3800_access_point_deployment_guide/b_cisco_aironet_series_2800_3800_access_point_deployment_guide_chapter_01010.pdf
Here is a link to the Mobility Express guide, which the 3802 will need to be configured if you want to use it in standalone. Autonomous is not supported on these models.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/enterprise-networks/mobility-express/guide-c07-736364.html
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you for all the great answers. This does help me get started. What Wireless LAN Controller is compatible with the 3802? I have messed with the older Aironet devices, but not familiar with the newer devices. Is the install the same with the older devices to install the IOS? I do not have a Cisco contract agreement to download any software. Does anyone know of another way to get it downloaded? Thank you all.

Without a service contract, you would not be able to download any code. You can ask the vendor which you purchased the AP from if they can provide you with the image.
If you want to purchase a WLC, then you would need a 2504, 3504, 5508, 5520 or 8510. The 2504 you might find cheap new or used, but you would need to have the right code to make it work. This link is a matrix of what code and controller is supported:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html
Now if you can get a mobility express image, you don't need to buy a controller, because the AP you have would have that built in.
-Scott

To download the Mobility Express firmware without a valid Service Contract, go HERE.  Scroll down to the section called "Customers Without Service Contracts" and read the first two paragraph very, very carefully.

I got a support contract for my AP 3802 and was able to get the Express IOS Software. Now the fun part begins. How do I get it installed on the AP 3802. Is this a downgrade or an upgrade? Thank you.

The Release Notes should provide detailed instructions on how to install the ME firmtware.

I performed the TFTP Transfer and it completes to 100%, but I get the error below:

####################################################################### 100.0%
Image downloaded, writing to flash...
do CHECK_ME, part1 is active part
tar: write error: No space left on device
sh: write error: No space left on device

Error, image file size is smaller than image+key+signature 0x01741000 : 0x036cef
c9
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
part.bin signature verification failure, exit the script
Error: Image update failed.
#

Writing reload timestamp (Fri Jan 1 10:21:22 UTC 2016) to disk

[*01/01/2016 10:21:23.2634] umount: can't umount /storage: Device or resource bu
sy
failed to unmount /storage; waiting 1s and trying again.

Any ideas how to fix this? Thank you.

I did that and it did not work. I tried that second method as I found it in another post. I keep getting the AP is out of space hence the error I received in the above post.

What does this error mean below? 

[*01/01/2016 10:21:23.2634] umount: can't umount /storage: Device or resource busy

Thank you.

Have you looked at the Cisco Mobility Express guide?  I’m assuming you want to do this if you don’t have a controller. The guide will explain what you need to do and commands to run to verify that the AP is Mobility Express capable or not. Will also explain how to upload the code which you need to extract first. 

-Scott

I did read through the guide fully last night and even performed my research around the error and did not find a lot on it. It is kind of one of those things where if you have seen it you are not aware of it as I have been looking all over this forum and the suggested two methods even in the guide did not work for me. I even reset the device to factory defaults and your assumption is right I want ME on this AP. If it is not compatible then why was I able to download the IOS for it on Cisco's website? Thank you.

Typically when an image fails to upload, its because the image was corrupted.  Now I'm also assuming that you downloaded to correct image and extracted the tar file.  If you have other AP's, then try to upgrade another one to make sure the AP is not bad.  Downloading software, it's up to you to choose the right one for that model and also either for CAPWAP or Mobility express.  Download the file again and check the MD5 hash.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card