cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 600 with Mac Filtering and a switch..

rtjensen4
Level 4
Level 4

How does the Aironet 600 handle Mac Filtering if I were to connect a switch to port 4 on the back ("Secured" network port). Does it authenticate each MAC or does it do somthing similar to how 802.1x with multi-host works, the first mac authenticates and then the port's wide open? My use-case here is a printer at a remote home-office. The printer doesn't have a supplicant in it so I need to use mac filtering. Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I believe it authenticates each mac address.  WLC 7.2 allows 2 rlan ports also so you can use port 3 & 4 and each rlan can support up to 4 mac address.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7_2.html#wp880822

https://communities.cisco.com/message/85810

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

My expereince .. the port is wide open unless you enforce 802.1X or WebAuth.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

rtjensen4
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks for the feedback.

David Ritter
Level 4
Level 4

MAC authentication is all I use for my OutStationed workers.  No wifi, just the rlan.  Since the rlan is configured for DHCP only, no IP gets passed until MAC auth occurs.

When Cisco packaged this up, they said 4 is enough..  IF you use an un-managed (non-cisco) switch. 

I had a need for 2 workstations and 2 digiports..  SOP sys a managed switch..  oops.  the switch consumed 2 MAC's right off the top.. 1 for itself and 1 for each vlan.

After enablilng 2 rlans, and configuring a pair on different networks, we discovered that they were bridged in the 602 (or somewhere).

We ended up switching out the 602 for an ASA5505

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card