Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIRONET DHCP on wired interface

I have an AP with a wired interface (0).

when I boot on the network, it comes up dhcp (don't want it). While disconnected, it comes up with the static address I want but the moment it gets on the net, dhcp.

I tried getting to the web interface in a number of ways (cross connect, putting both on the same switch(they can ping but no HTTP). 

In fact none of my APs (on a controller) can come up on HTTP or HTTPS.

How do I stop this AP from going for a DHCP address. I want it static.

6 Replies 6

Does AP get DHCP from the same subnet you assign static IP? Why do you want to keep AP on static IPs?

Once APs are WLC managed, they are not able to HTTP/HTTPS directly, which is normal behaviour. (Office Extend AP is the exception, where you do some local config on the AP)

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Simple, because I want to. Doesn't matter why. I want to remove DHCP. That's simple.

Claes Karlsson
Level 1
Level 1

Have you tried to console to the AP and set the IP-static with the following commands:

capwap ap ip address <ip> <mask>
capwap ap ip default-gateway <ip>

Based on your controller configuration you can ssh or telnet to the AP.

//CK

Yes i have. the problem is the dhcp ip address. If it's on the network, it takes an address I don't want viaa dhcp. Remove it, it has the static one per your answer (which I already have done).

It seems stuck getting a dhcp address when I have set a static.

I need to remove dhcp on the interface.

Might be a software bug. 

Based on the capwap join process, it should only do DHCP if no static address was configured: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/119286-lap-notjoin-wlc-tshoot.html#anc4

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-documents/joining-process-of-an-cisco-access-point/ta-p/3149279

I suggest opening a TAC to check this out.

I have 4 others which seem to work put just fine. Maybe I need to rebuild it.

I'll also check the software on all to see if that may be the difference.

I'm going to the location tomorrow and will report my findings for all.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card