cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Airport Runway Wireless Solution

abbasali5
Level 1
Level 1

I have a situation where we are looking to implement Cisco Wireless Solution for the Airport.  When I say Airport, I am referring to runways rather than the other part of the Airport.  This is more about the running vehicles on the runways to be able to communicate to support stuff.  Not sure if any outdoor Cisco AP will be able to meet the requirements and/or in conjunction with Cellular technology.  

I couldn't find any case study either on CCO.

Thanks,

7 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@abbasali5 wrote:

This is more about the running vehicles on the runways to be able to communicate to support stuff.

You mean turning the ground support vehicles to become WiFi hotspots? 

Are the ground support vehicles going to be on the runway or on aprons and a/c bays?

View solution in original post

Thanks Leo!  The vehicles will be on the runway.

I'd say get proper FCC guidelines regarding WiFi on the runway because this may potentially disrupt ground communication with a/c.

shfarid
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cisco Mesh access points shall serve this purpose

Keep in mind that you will probably be hitting radar issues when using DFS channels. Depending on how many AP’s you need, you might be stuck with 2.4ghz and uni-1 channels.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Some airports are also using 'local 5g infrastructure' for these purposes.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

On 5GHz, yes there will be DFS issues, but at global mesh configs we have better control on configuring right channels for RAPs to keep away from DFS channels and limit parent channel selection based on known channels in deployment (multiple convergence options for quick covergence across parents). DCA shall be disabled to avoid DFS interruption as well.

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@abbasali5 wrote:

This is more about the running vehicles on the runways to be able to communicate to support stuff.

You mean turning the ground support vehicles to become WiFi hotspots? 

Are the ground support vehicles going to be on the runway or on aprons and a/c bays?

Thanks Leo!  The vehicles will be on the runway.

I'd say get proper FCC guidelines regarding WiFi on the runway because this may potentially disrupt ground communication with a/c.

shfarid
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cisco Mesh access points shall serve this purpose

Keep in mind that you will probably be hitting radar issues when using DFS channels. Depending on how many AP’s you need, you might be stuck with 2.4ghz and uni-1 channels.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

On 5GHz, yes there will be DFS issues, but at global mesh configs we have better control on configuring right channels for RAPs to keep away from DFS channels and limit parent channel selection based on known channels in deployment (multiple convergence options for quick covergence across parents). DCA shall be disabled to avoid DFS interruption as well.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Some airports are also using 'local 5g infrastructure' for these purposes.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Jurgens L
Level 3
Level 3

I’ve done a deployment for an airport a couple of years ago (outside the USA) using Cisco 1552’s, we used the Cisco Best Pratice Design Guide for Wireless Mesh deployments.
Our requirement at that time was simple, provide wireless data coverage only where the planes would taxi. We went with the classic 5GHz backhaul and 2.4GHz for client deployment.
Things we had to keep in mind was the DFS channels, AP placement and antenna selection.
Doing a prediction design with a decent wireless design tool will be a good start, however you will have to do an AP on a stick to validate your design.
Alot of things have changed since I deployed that network, technologies such as CBRS (private LTE) may also now be another option.

<<< Pls remember to rate all useful responses >>>

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card