Views
Helpful
Replies

Airprint/Bonjour with mDNS gateway does not work over anchor

haris_drimouras
Level 1
Level 1

Dears

We have one WLAN where I try to use Airprint on a wireless HP printer using Bonjour. Both client and printer are on the same WLAN which anchor with another contoller for accessing internet. On WLAN we have enabled WPA PSK with MAC filtering.

Both internal and DMZ (anchored) controllers run 7.4.100 and I have enable Bonjour on DMZ controller. Using the default "default-mdns-profile"

mDNS profile I can see the printer registering but I still can not print. Bonjour is only enabled on DMZ controller but I have try both on internal without any different. Multicast is disabled globally on both controllers.

Attached the Bonjour debug during problem

Thank you in advance for your assistant.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, you need mDNS on atleast anchor only for this to work. Anchor WLC advertises Bonjour Multicast packets to Foreign WLC, so that Wireless user can see the service and connect to it and allows the actual w.less bonjour data connection that uses Bonjour unicast tcp traffic to pass from foreign to anchor. "Multicast forwarding from foreign to anchor is not supported until 7.5 code."

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't know if that will work when anchoring. The test you can do is the setup an internal SSID and see if that works or not. If it dies then mDNS isn't supported for sure when you anchor.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

In 7.4

For guest anchoring, the guest WLAN is able to see Bonjour services advertised to the anchor controller.

check the following link :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/bonjour/Bonjour_DG_Guide.pdf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Don't forget to rate correct answers and flag as answered if your issue is resolved

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Only Bonjour Multicast Forwarding from wired anchor to wirless foreign is supported.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtr26626

hi Saravanan,

The bug is still not closed, its an enhancement request.. so is it supported  ? in the new bonjour deployment guide, the Apple tv is shown as wired to the dmz switch and guest controller is advertising airplay... so in this case both the internal controller and guest controller shoudl support mDNS i believe ?

regards

Joe

yes, you're correct, edited the post for clarity.

noelmulryan
Level 1
Level 1

hi Noel,

i am facing same issue. guest anchor setup, internal controller is 5508, but dmz i have only 4400. will it work ? do i need to have mDNS support on the anchor controller as well for this to work ?

also as per the deployment guide, you need to have the apple tv wired to the dmz for it to work. do you have it wired to dmz ? or apple tv is also wireless ?

regards

Joe

Yes, you need mDNS on atleast anchor only for this to work. Anchor WLC advertises Bonjour Multicast packets to Foreign WLC, so that Wireless user can see the service and connect to it and allows the actual w.less bonjour data connection that uses Bonjour unicast tcp traffic to pass from foreign to anchor. "Multicast forwarding from foreign to anchor is not supported until 7.5 code."

haris_drimouras
Level 1
Level 1

For having Bonjour work you must have Bonjour device (printer) on separate IP network (and WLAN) from users. It seems that Bonjour service does not work in bridge mode.

ieee1284c
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone have this working with clients and appletv on anchored guest wlan?  On 7.0.116.0 code with clients in same anchored guest subnet, airplay works fine just by enabling multicast on the 5508.  But on 7.4 I can't seem to get that same scenario to work.  Everything I've tried mDNS related fails so I just wanted to confirm that people do have this working on 7.5.

wireless client have to be from foreign wlc on guest wlan and apple-tv wired on anchor from guest wired interface, any other setup does not work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: