Views
Helpful
Replies

All 5508 controllers just rebooted

sprocket10
Level 2
Level 2

Curious if anyone has seen this.

All of our 5508 Wireless Controllers have just rebooted across our UK sites, all running version 7.4.110.0, all rebooted at the same time for no obvious reason. Our old 4402 controller didnt reboot.

26 Replies 26

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Agree with Leo....

Paste the crashinfo from WLC :
How..... Check this:

COntroller>Management>Tech Support> Controller Crash

Regards

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

How many controllers all together get rebooted. Check all controllers "show sysinfo" to see last reload reason & time of the reboot match each other.

Post one of them "show sysinfo" output to see

HTH

Rasika

***** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Generally, RMA is not possible for software reset reasons. Only if there is dataplane crash that can't be fixed via software will be considered as hardware failure besides other true failures.

Last Reset....................................... Software reset

In this case, the crash task was due to emweb, it is possible NMS device may be trying to push an config to all WLCs caused this crash. Stack trace and coredump should speak about the actual reason.

I am not saying you are hitting this bug. but in certain cases bugs are applicable to HW manufactured since certain date/time. So always worth to check.

CSCul68057

Symptom:

Wireless LAN Controller may encounter unexpected reload without crash file or coredump.

Console log output may include "reaperWatcher rebooting" and "!!!!! Watchdog detected LOCKUP !!!!!",

and there may be "#OSAPI-2-REAPER_WATCHER_INFO" message in syslog.

Conditions:

5508, 2504 or WiSM2 manufactured since 2012.

Known Affected Releases

7.4(110.0)

7.0(240.0)

7.5(102.0)

Known Fixed Releases

HTH

Rasika

Not trying to debate, at the same time trying to help out

This bug is about CF driver issue on WLC, it is not an hardware issue that require RMA, We can still upgrade the WLC to fixed code. And i don't see single RMA attached to this defect

Example of bug that require WLC RMA. It is not reoccuring so you don't find any external info.

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCub00349

I agree with you.

What I wanted to say  is certain software bugs only applicable to particular harware versions like in this case. Did not try to say RMA is the solution

Rasika

Sure. By the way most of the older AireOS releases will be deferred due to this bug within a week, field notice will be sent out.

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

post stack trace of the crash, need stack trace to get clue, sometimes that also does not help and require coredump of the crash. 7.4.121.0 or 7.4.111.X may have fix, if its an known bug.

sprocket10
Level 2
Level 2

What I find strange is that all our 5508 controllers rebooted at the same time. I will schedule an upgrade on them all to the latest version

Go for the 7.4.121.0 (7.4MR2). Also ensure that your FUS upgraded to 1.7.0.0 as well.

Rasika

tonyp8581
Level 1
Level 1

Hi sprocket10,

I'm having the same issue. I have 2 WLC 5508 (HA) running v7.4.110.0.  Since September, never had any reboot problem until this week.

First, my primary WLC rebooted.  Today, both WLC rebooted around the same time.

Have you had the chance to upgrade and did that fix the problem ?

Thx

Tony

How do you run the Cisco crash analyser? Or access the crashinfo file, on the standby member of a HA pair of controllers?

The web interface is only available on the active member

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: