Views
Helpful
Replies

Anchor in 8.5 and Foreign in 8.10

Antonio Macia
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Should I expect any incompatibility issues between these two software versions running at the anchor and foreign controllers? According to other posts in this forum, the anchor and foreign can run different software versions, but is this true when the software differs up to 5 versions?

Thanks.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Yes, typically Cisco recommend to keep it within 3 version. However, I do not expect anything to break between 8.5.x and 8.10.x anchoring.

Any way those two code versions are long live releases. So I would not see any problem of going with it (unless you can match versions)

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

It’s the firmware version that you need to look at. The model doesn’t matter.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You are just tunneling the traffic, so as long as the wlc compatibly matrix has your firmware listed as compatible, you are fine. That means that it is supported by TAC.
-Scott

6 Replies 6

Yes, typically Cisco recommend to keep it within 3 version. However, I do not expect anything to break between 8.5.x and 8.10.x anchoring.

Any way those two code versions are long live releases. So I would not see any problem of going with it (unless you can match versions)

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thank you Rasika,

In my case I need to update a pair of WLC 5520 (foreign) to the 8.10 in order to support the new Cat9120 but the anchors are 5508 which support 8.5 as the latest version.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
This matrix will show you what is supported.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html#pgfId-201251
-Scott

Thanks Scott, but I don't see the combination of 5520 (foreign) and 5508 (anchor) at the "Wireless Controller Foreign and Anchor Support" table.

It’s the firmware version that you need to look at. The model doesn’t matter.
-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You are just tunneling the traffic, so as long as the wlc compatibly matrix has your firmware listed as compatible, you are fine. That means that it is supported by TAC.
-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card