Views
Helpful
Replies

Antenna for 3700 series

ElwinMkanyika
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, 

I have done a lot of research regarding the best antennas for the warehouse but would like to hear your views on what I have chosen. 

We are deploying in the warehouse and the ceiling is 10m high. We will be installing the 3700e and am eyeing the low profile omnidirectional antenna AIR-ANT2535SDW-R. 

Well, one is because I read this: Choice of antenna as recommended by Cisco for the warehouse is that when configuring coverage for aisles, try to use directional (Patch) antennas on the wall and shoot down the aisles; or use low-gain Omni-directional antennas on the ceiling (such as dipoles) or units with integrated antennas because high gain omni-directional antennas tend to have more nulls.

And also there was a thread where Scott mentioned that he almost always goes for the omnidirectional. The guy there was deploying in a warehouse that is 12 m high. 

Yes, I know that survey is best option. and no, I do not have an antenna or a 3700 to test. So basically, am looking for ideal figures. If the AP is to be mounted 10 m high, will this antenna handle it or otherwise? If not, what antenna is best?

Oh yer, also saw this from CCNP guide...

Antennas should not be too high (20 feet = 6m or higher ), otherwise, the client signal is seen as weak even below the antenna, and there is no clear difference in the client signal when close or far from the AP.

How confusing! Please assist me. 

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well it's me:)

I typically will use these in environmments up to 12m high. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/antenna/installation/guide/ant2544v4m-r.html

I wouldn't use the small profile omni's that high up. As far as patches, I will use them if I need to, but they are placed no higher than 20'.  Get a few antennas and test the signal. The one I pasted as a link has good downtilt, but you are at the edge where coverage tends to be an issue.

Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hey Scott,

Thank you for taking your time to reply. 

1) What is the safe distance for the small profile omnis? Like up to 6 m up ?

2) Read an earlier comment where you mentioned that best to use patches if you have a height of about 50" due to the signal bouncing back. Does that comment refer to only ceiling mounted patches or also wall mounted ones? If it refers to ceiling mounted ones, then doesnt that mean that we should not prefer it in this case?

3) I am looking for a ceiling mounted option to cover from 12 m high...Due to cost, what would be your second option? The antenna you in the link is good but it basically radiates omni directional, meaning that the signal is also radiated above the ceiling, where I do not need it...

4) Do you think the 2524 ones would be able to radiate from that high up?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card