cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Antenna Selection for Wireless Bridge

Adam Boatright
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings. I need to setup a wireless bridge between two buildings that are around 300ft apart. This is my first time doing something like this and I would appreciate input from anyone that has experience. I've looked through cisco's docs and read a lot of the posts here and have a few questions.

The main considerations are:

1. Use 802.11n (as close to 100mb as possible)

2. POE

I think I should use 2 AIR-AP1252's but I'm not sure which antennas would be best.

My fist question is does it matter which frequency I bridge on, 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz?

Would an antenna like the AIR-ANT2460NP-R or the AIR-ANT5160NP-R work for a 300ft bridge or should I get 3 AIR-ANT2410Y-R for each side?

If I go with the AIR-ANT2410Y-R would I need 3 on each side or will 2 be enough for 802.11n?

2 Replies 2

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you want good 11n performance, go with 3 antennas per radio, they are there for a reason :-)

1252 means you have to pay attention that it requires more than just "normal" poe. So you need a switch delivering PoE up to 20 watts or a power injector.

The 1262 would be the alternate option for supporting normal Poe.

The 1252 comes with a list of supported antennas.

If you want good speed you would be bonding channels. So if you are on 2.4ghz and you bond let's say channel 1 and 6 together, the chances are high that someone else, in the path of your bridge, will be interfering on one of these channels. So 5ghz would be better in this regards.

Of course if you are in an isolated place, then it's ok.

I'll have to use a power injector since the switch that I'll be pluggin into doesn't have poe.

Using 5Ghz makes sense, however I don't see a Cisco directional antenna in the 5Ghz range.

So I guess I'll be using the AIR-ANT2410Y-R.

Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card