cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP 3702i will not register to Controller

jameskuder
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have several remote sites that connect back to our data center via dual IPSec VPN Tunnels. We are trying to installed the AP 3702i at these locations and they will not register to the WLC. I am able to ping the WLCs from the sites in question. We are connecting the AP's to a Cisco 3850 switch. The device that is handling the VPN tunnels is a Juniper Firewall. The Firewall is also the device that his assigning the LAN DHCP addresses. I can see that they devices are grabbing an address over and over. When I did a debug at the switch level, I could see the AP's continually reboot.

We have other working sites that are using the 3850 switches but they are primarily on MPLS using the same switches model

We are trying to get the VPN sites to work now until we are able to migrate them over to our MPLS network.

Any help would be appreciated!

8 Replies 8

ali aqrabawi
Level 3
Level 3

normally when the AP fails to join the WLC via static ip and DHCP ip it will reboot . 

so have you checked if the AP is able to discover the WLC ? 

how does the AP learn the WLC ip address statically or from option 43 or other method?

are the capwap ports opened between the AP and the WLC ?

can you share AP logging ? 

can you share "show ap join stats <AP name>" from the WLC

How do I determine if the AP is able to discover the WLC?

What capwap ports should be open between the AP and WLC?

AP logging shared from where and how do I get it?

I just use the MAC for the AP Name?

you can check on the WLC using command "show ap join stats <AP name>",

you can collect "show logging " from the AP . 

you can collect "debug capwap client events" from the AP.

So, I would need to be directly connected to AP via console port, correct? What is the login name and password for console if the AP's are just right out of the box. Also, there are no join status on the WLC for the AP's I am working with

cisco/Cisco

I will give that a try and be back.

attached

AP is unable to discover the WLC ip address .

try one of the below :

1)add DNS entery for :

CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.SSG5-Serial     <WLC ip>

2)issue this command on the AP :

debug capwap console cli

capwap ap controller ip address <WLC ip>

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card