cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP Aironet1830 is not detected on wlc 3504 via vlan

Reedho
Level 1
Level 1

I just configured wlc 3504 on the side of vlan10, and I have several different AP1830 vlans that will be controlled by wlc. but when I connect AP1830 with the interface vlan in each manage switch, unfortunately WLC does not detect any AP joining.
for management vlan, wlc has been entered with vlan id
how do I configure it, if something like this happens.

4 Replies 4

pieterh
VIP
VIP

you have multiple options for the AP to discover the WLC

1) broadcast within the (v)lan

2) DNS entry

3) DHCP scope options

4) prime the wlc address locally on the AP

Bernhard82
Level 1
Level 1

Can AP's ping the controller? Do some debug capwap detail enable see what the logs say.

if not on the same subnet as controller will have to use other join methods, such as dhcp option 43, DNS- resolution, or pre stage AP's with controller IP address

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Like what others have mentioned, there is documentation that describes the AP join process and the different methods used. The easies way is to place the aps on the same subnet as the wlc management. Once the AP joins, the AP will know of the wlc IP address and then you can move the AP into a different vlan if you wish. I’m assuming also that the wlc is reachable on the network and the AP has connectivity back to the wlc.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I have tried by placing the AP on the same subnet but still not detected.
even though if the PC is connected to a certain switchport vlan it immediately gets DHCP, and can ping WLC ip and can also open the GUI
is there another way to do something like this?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card