Views
Helpful
Replies

AP Fallback

rchester
Level 1
Level 1

regarding AP Fallback for 4.0 code:

If a primary controller has failed and then comes back online does the AP re-join automaticaly with loss of service?

Thanks

reload in 25 years
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So if the original controller becomes avaialble does the AP join to it automaticaly and is service affected?

Yes.  There's a loss of wireless services during the switch over from the secondary/tertiary controller back to the primary controller.

NOTE:  Just make sure you configure the primary/secondary/tertiary controllers correctly.  During my "playing around" with the 4.0 the configuration of the primary/secondary/tertiary controllers using GUI does not work.  The primary/secondary/tertiary controllers details (IP address and WLC names) need to be entered via CLI. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

If the access point was previously associated to a  controller, the IP addresses of the primary, secondary, and tertiary  controllers are stored in the access point's non-volatile memory. This  process of storing controller IP addresses on access points for later  deployment is called priming the access point.

The APs are supposed to join back to the WLC..

lemme know if this answered your question..

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

So if the original controller becomes avaialble does the AP join to it automaticaly and is service affected?

thanks

reload in 25 years

Hi,

I guess not.. This doesnot work like HSRP.. i guess on the later version we have the priority configure to it.. but, till we do it manually it wont.. AFAIK

lemme know if this answered your question..

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

Yes.  There's a loss of wireless services during the switch over from the secondary/tertiary controller back to the primary controller.

NOTE:  Just make sure you configure the primary/secondary/tertiary controllers correctly.  During my "playing around" with the 4.0 the configuration of the primary/secondary/tertiary controllers using GUI does not work.  The primary/secondary/tertiary controllers details (IP address and WLC names) need to be entered via CLI. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card