adityaM1234
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am facing an issue with our AP. We have following software versions

WLC  Software Version 7.4.121.0

AP1    IOS Version 12.4(25e)JAM3

AP2    IOS Version 15.2(2)JB3

As per Cisco documents, WLC software is compatible with both AP's IOS version.

But since 2 days  both the APs started getting disassociated from WLC. It shows following error messages

1) AP got disassociated due to link failure.

2) AP's Interface:0(802.11b) Operation State Up: Base Radio MAC XXX Cause=Radio interface reset. Status:NA

What should I do to solve this issue. Its urgent. Please provide solution for the issue.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Aditya

11 Replies 11

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are these APs in local mode and local to the WLC?  Have you looked at the switch port for any errors?  Have you swapped the patch cable and tried a different switch port that is know to be fungi oniony fine for another AP?  These are some thing to try.  If the APs are in a different location, then you need to look at the latency.

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Thank you for quick reply.

Both the APs are local to WLC.  Both the APs are on different floors but in same building.

I will check on the switchports and will update here.

Thanks,

Aditya

sounds like network issues. if you want to go deep. take a span capture of the AP port and see where the drop is happening or at least first confirm the AP has communication issues with the WLC

Hi,

I am new to wireless. These are some of the Logs that are seen on the WLC.

The wired as well as wireless users lose connection suddenly and after sometime the they get connected to the network.

Earlier everything was working fine. No changes were made on any device. These are the WLC logs.

1) Coverage hole pre alarm for client[1] XXXXXX on 802.11b/g interface of AP XXXX  Hist: 16 10 21 18 21 17 24 4 5 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2) RADIUS server XXXX:1812 failed to respond to request (ID 88) for client XXXX / user 'XXX'

3) Load Profile Failed for Base Radio MAC: XXXX and slotNo: 0

AAA Authentication Failure for UserName:XXX User Type: WLAN USER

4) Rogue AP : XXXX removed from Base Radio MAC : XXXX Interface no:0(802.11n(2.4 GHz))

5) RADIUS server XXXX:1812 failed to respond to request (ID 87) for client XXXX / user 'XXX'

6) Rogue AP: XXXX detected on Base Radio MAC: XXXX Interface no: 0(802.11n(2.4 GHz)) Channel: 5 RSSI: -96 SNR: -6 Classification: unclassified, State: Alert, RuleClassified : N, Severity Score: 0, RuleName: N.A. ,Classified AP MAC: 00:00:00:00:00:00 ,Classified RSSI: 0

7)  Load Profile Updated to Pass for Base Radio MAC: XXXX and slotNo: 0

8) Rogue AP : XXXX removed from Base Radio MAC : XXXX Interface no:0(802.11n(2.4 GHz))

9) Rogue AP: XXXX detected on Base Radio MAC: XXXX Interface no: 0(802.11n(2.4 GHz)) Channel: 3 RSSI: -95 SNR: -3 Classification: unclassified, State: Alert, RuleClassified : N, Severity Score: 0, RuleName: N.A. ,Classified AP MAC: 00:00:00:00:00:00 ,Classified RSSI: 0

10) Interference Profile Updated to Pass for Base Radio MAC: xxxx and slotNo: 0

11) Interference Profile Failed for Base Radio MAC: xxxx and slotNo: 0

12) AP's Interface:0(802.11b) Operation State Up: Base Radio MAC:XXXX Cause=Radio interface reset. Status:NA

13) AP's Interface:0(802.11b) Operation State Down: Base Radio MAC:XXXX Cause=Radio interface reset. Status:NA

14) AP XXX MAC: XXXX disassociated previously due to Link Failure. Uptime: XXX days, X h XX m XX s . Reason: Capwap WTP Event request.

what should I do to solve the issue ?. Please provide solution and steps to perform, as I am new to this WLC (wireless) field.

Thanks in Advance,

Regards,

Aditya

Console into the AP and post the following output commands in full: 

1.  sh version; 

2.  sh ip interface brief; 

Hi Leo,

Thank you for reply. This is the output of each command on AP

sh version

Cisco IOS Software, C1040 Software (C1140-K9W8-M), Version 15.2(2)JB3, RELEASE                                                                                            SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2013 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 19-Dec-13 04:41 by

ROM: Bootstrap program is C1040 boot loader
BOOTLDR: C1040 Boot Loader (C1140-BOOT-M) Version 12.4(23c)JA3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

XXXX uptime is 25 weeks, 1 day, 13 hours, 46 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on

System image file is "flash:/c1140-k9w8-mx.152-2.JB3/c1140-k9w8-mx.152-2.JB3"
Last reload reason:

cisco AIR-LAP1041N-A-K9     (PowerPC405ex) processor (revision B0) with 81910K/49152K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FTX1603K5KD
PowerPC405ex CPU at 333Mhz, revision number 0x147E
Last reset from power-on
LWAPP image version 7.4.121.0
1 Gigabit Ethernet interface
1 802.11 Radio

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
Base ethernet MAC Address: XXXX
Part Number                          : XXXX
PCA Assembly Number         : xxxx
PCA Revision Number           : A0
PCB Serial Number                : xxxx
Top Assembly Part Number    : xxxx
Top Assembly Serial Number  : xxxx
Top Revision Number              : A0
Product/Model Number           : AIR-AP1041N-A-K9

Configuration register is 0xF

sh ip interface brief

Interface                  IP-Address      OK?   Method Status                Protocol
BVI1                       xxxx                YES        TFTP   up                    up
Dot11Radio0          unassigned      NO        unset    up                    up
GigabitEthernet0    unassigned      NO        unset    up                    up
GigabitEthernet0.1 unassigned      YES      unset    up                     up

Thanks in Advance,

Regards

Aditya

1.  Is the AP in FlexConnect? 

2.  How is the AP powered up?  PoE, Injector or Power Supply?

Hi Leo,

AP Mode is Local and AP is powered up by Power supply

Thanks,

Aditya

I would do a little test and swap a good ap with an ap that is causing you issues.  This way if the good ap starts showing the same issue, it could be the cable, switchport, maybe the power.  This way you can at least isolate if its an AP issue or something else.

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi,

Thank you Leo and Scott for reply.

I will check cables connected to AP.

Thanks,

Aditya

AP is powered up by Power supply

AP is powered by power supply, eh?  

I was expecting this.  So this means that you could, potentially, have a problem with cabling.  Since the APs are not running PoE this is why the uptime is high.  

To test, make sure you change the patch cables and plug the AP directly to the switchport and observe.  If the AP doesn't loose contact with the WLC, then you've got a horizontal cabling issue (ouch!).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card