cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP groups with same vlans , same ssid but different subnet.

ammahend
VIP
VIP

Hi Members,

I have a Cisco Flex 7500 in my datacenter and I need to connect 100 sites , each site with 2-3 APs , each side has its own network and is independent of other sites , the site only need to comunity locally and do not need to access any centralized applications.

I am trying to achieve this by Creating 100  different AP groups and assiging 2-3 AP in each groups for each branch, I will achieve WAN failover resiliency by creating flexconnect groug , the issue I am facing are as below .

1.Since all the sites has same setup , the AP and clients on all sites are in vlan 2 , so when I try to create 2 or more AP group with same vlan, it restricts me of doing so , I cannot create diffrent AP groups mapped to same Vlan .

2.If I keep the APs and Clients in the same subnet , I dont think it should be a problem , but I need your second opinion.

to give you an even better picture , look at the topology enclosed , and my question is if both STAFF and STUDENT APs are in same vlan but in 2 different broadcast domain , how would I create the AP groups.

Thank you

-hope this helps-
5 Replies 5

jeen_wifi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am not sure if i understand what you are trying to do, a screen shot would help.

You can create multiple AP groups and map the WLANs to whatever VLAN interfaces available on the WLC. But the VLAN mapping under the AP flexconnnect tab will take precedence if you are locally switching the WLANs.

Hope this helps.

Jeen

Thanks for the reply Jenn , here is my situation.

I have 2 sites lets day , site A in virginia ,  site B in Maryland.

SiteA - 10.1.1.0/24 - vlan 2

10.1.2.0/24 - vlan 3

10.1.3.0/30 - WAN to central site where controller sits.

SiteB - 10.2.1.0/24 - vlan 2

10.2.2.0/24 - vlan 3

10.2.3.0/30 - WAN to central site where controller sits.

both the sites will have a single ssid "XYZ" and will switch locally only.

howin my understanding the way I will deploy this is as below

1.I will create WLAN with ssid "XYZ".

2.I will create 2 AP groups lets say "Site-A" and "Site-B"

3.I will map the APs in site A to AP group "Site-A" and APs in Site B to "Site-B"

4.I will create 2 dynamic interfaces one for each AP group , now this is where I am facing problem , when I am creating dynamin interfaces , I need to specify the subnet and vlans when creating dynamic interfaces , since the vlans used is same on both sites , its not letting me create 2 interfaces with same vlan id.

in my understanding HREAP is only majorly used for WAN failover and local authentication so I am not concerned about that right not , my prime work is to udnerstand the AP group and working.

if you still need print shot let me know I will have to go at site.

also validate if my thinking is right on the 4 steps I have mentioned above , I am new to wireless and whatever I have learned I have learned in last 10 days .

Appreciate your help.

Thank you

-hope this helps-

You dont need to create additional dynamic interfaces if you are locally switching the WLANs. When you map the SSIDs within the AP groups, you can use 'any' dynamic interface  that is present on the WLC(say management interface)

for the Locally switched SSID.

Local switching should be checked for SSIDs - Under Advanced tab. Those SSIDs automatically appear under VLAN mappings.

When the AP mode is changed to HREAP/Flexconnect, you have a new tab HREAP/Flexconnect. Select Vlan Support, enter the native VLAN (AP vlan) and under Vlan Mapping - Enter the SSID - VLAN assignment.

HTH

Jeen

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

#For locally switched WLAN, overriding interface doesn't take effect(since the data traffic from site doesn't hit controller) however you can still control specific APs broadcasting specific ssids.

#HREAP AP's gig interface will become Trunk and it can carry both capwap(traffic to wlc using central switching) and non capwap(traffic to site infrastructure using local switching). And authentication can also be central and local.

#Each hreap AP's ethernet interface will be trunk, need to place AP on native vlan of that local site's subnet, configure wlan to vlan maping on each AP's specific to the site, it is not an L3 interface so interface ip config is not needed on each AP.

ammahend
VIP
VIP

thanks guys for all your help .

-hope this helps-
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card