Views
Helpful
Replies

AP High Availability not working for some APS

Michele Toblini
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

we have 3 WLC 5520 in 8.5.140.0 and i had to reboot all of them to get rid of new mobility. In every AP it is configured manually the failover of the APs.

When i rebooted WLC-3 almost all the APs joined the second one as it was supposed to. Just few of them joined WLC-1. I tried to reboot few of them but they were stuck in the WLC-1. I've also resetted the configuration but nothing happend. I thought, okay, let's reboot the WLC-1 so they will be forced to join again the WLC-3 as it was before. 

Nothing, all the AP belonging the WLC-1did the failover except those stubborn that now are stuck in one controller.

Here are the models of APs:

AIR-AP2802E-E-K9

1 AIR-CAP1602I-E-K9

AIR-AP1562I-E-K9

Any clue about what is going on?

Thanks,

Michele

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Make sure that the high availability you defined on each ap is correct. The controller host name is case sensitive. Check your license and old config also just In case something happened during the reboot.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

the licences are not a problem, all controllers are able to take all APs. Also the host name is correct.

Grendizer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try to check on one of the faulty APs the below: (From AP cli)

#show run | i controller

If you see the name is wrong for the primary WLC then do this from the WLC gui:

1) Deleting Secondary controller name and IP, then Apply.

2) Then, configure Primary and Secondary name and IP, then Apply.

already done without success

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Michele Toblini wrote:

all the AP belonging the WLC-1did the failover except those stubborn that now are stuck in one controller.

Regulatory Domain?

Did you try rebooting the APs?

I'm thinking possibly a side effect of https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCve14291 lingering from before you upgraded to 8.5.140.0. (what did you upgrade from?)

'show ver' on the AP itself would show if it's still running old code which would confirm you're hitting CSCve14291. Ignore what version the WLC says the AP is running - it only shows what it *should* be running not what it *is* running.

[Yes the AP keeps running different code from WLC without any problems LOL - somebody accidentally created a key part of the 9800 ISSU feature on AireOS]

Only caveat is this bug is only supposed to affect COS APs so should not affect the 1602 which runs IOS!

While you were going round rebooting WLCs you should probably have thought to update to at least 8.5.161.0 at the same time to resolve a whole lot of other bugs and security vulnerabilities.

i tried rebooting and resetting. 

AP Running Image : 8.5.140.0
Primary Boot Image : 8.5.140.0
Backup Boot Image : 8.3.141.3

Also 

show capwap client rcb
AdminState : ADMIN_ENABLED
OperationState : UP
Name : AP-OUT-P18
SwVer : 8.5.140.0

No it's running the correct version (8.5.140.0).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: