Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP Image Download Progress indicator

Hi,

Dealing with Cisco C9800 controllers and tons of FlexConnect APs, I've faced numerous issues/challenges with APs software Image Download process. Some related with certain software bugs, others with branch site poor network connectivity, or controller config (like capwap window size) etc.

I'm often being ask how much time the onboarding process of new APs, or Controller software upgrade (and as a consequence AP software upgrade) would take, and most often I don't have firm answer to this question....sometimes it takes 30 minutes for AP to download the SW., upgrade and register on WLC, often it takes some hours, and sometimes it takes days, because what I've noticed is that if AP did not finish the download of the image from WLC within 30 minutes, it reboots and start process over again.

I was looking for an option on WLC (or AP using SSH, or console access) to be able to see the image download progress...like 30%, or 40MB of the img file already downloaded, but couldn't find it anywhere.

It's rather surprising, that this is not implemented on such advanced systems like WLC, or LWAPPs.

It'd help to understand the timing needed for AP to register in particular site, or estimate the WLC upgrade timeframe, or simply help troubleshooting AP join issues (often related with some specific bugs).

So...my question is, is there any way I can verify particular AP image download progress and things like current download speed, if using efficient AP Image Upgrade, etc.?

Perhaps something to request from Cisco as a feature request?

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@PiotrBurczyk80035 wrote:
So...my question is, is there any way I can verify particular AP image download progress and things like current download speed, if using efficient AP Image Upgrade, etc.?

None.  

@PiotrBurczyk80035 wrote:
Perhaps something to request from Cisco as a feature request?

Talk to the Cisco Account Manager and ask them to raise an enhancement request.  Good luck.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card