Views
Helpful
Replies

AP - Operational Status is Down in WLC 9800

VamsiKrishna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have deployed virtual 9800 WLC (version 16.12.01t) and joined 3800 series AP with it. But AP is unable tethering the SSID created and shown Operation status as down. Please refer the  screenshot.

Please help me out with this issue,

Regards,

Vamsi Krishna

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Vamsi - 

I hope I understand your question.  so after swapping the switch your AP is now saying it is operationally up and you are not seeing a preconfigured SSID is this correct?

If so they way the 9800 works with wireless network has changed.  Based on the modular design we use profiles and tags.  you create a policy profile and a WLAN Profile  which the WLAN profile creates your SSID settings and the Policy profile creates your L2 network.  We then link them together in a Policy Tag. 

If creating a unique policy tag can you check that this is selected on the general tab of you access point and is not assigned to the default-policy-tag.

Here is a link that may help you.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/213911-understand-catalyst-9800-wireless-contro.html

John

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

johnmedcraft
Level 1
Level 1

Hi .

it looks like you hit a bug.

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvs23163/?rfs=iqvred 

Are you able to upgrade to 16.12.3.

John

Hi John,

I have upgraded the 9800 WLC to 16.12.3, even now I am facing the same issue as Operational Status is down but Regulatory Domain changed as A from Unknown.

Regard,
Vamsi Krishna

Hi Vamsi - 

During the install,  did you select the country code for the AP the default would have been US?

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the response.

Issue solved after replacing the switch 3560 to 3850, since PoE to AP from Interface Fast ethernet was not sufficient to enable Radio Frequency. But still AP is not tethering the SSIDs. Please help me out.

Regards,
Vamsi Krishna

Hi Vamsi - 

I hope I understand your question.  so after swapping the switch your AP is now saying it is operationally up and you are not seeing a preconfigured SSID is this correct?

If so they way the 9800 works with wireless network has changed.  Based on the modular design we use profiles and tags.  you create a policy profile and a WLAN Profile  which the WLAN profile creates your SSID settings and the Policy profile creates your L2 network.  We then link them together in a Policy Tag. 

If creating a unique policy tag can you check that this is selected on the general tab of you access point and is not assigned to the default-policy-tag.

Here is a link that may help you.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/213911-understand-catalyst-9800-wireless-contro.html

John

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card