Views
Helpful
Replies

AP randomly disappears from AP Group

ziqex
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I have come across very weird situation today.

I wanted to test new WLAN and added the AP to the test AP Group.

During the test after 3-4 successful connection I have then noticed that the new wlan does not advertise the SSID. I have quickly logged to WLC and check that AP is still up, however when I checked the AP Group the access point was not there.

After 30-60 seconds the SSID has re-appeared and after checking the AP Group the access point was there. I have not done any changes or not re-added the AP.

The AP has re-appear in the AP group automatically. Please advise.

Thank you.

Regards,

Daniel

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since we do not know much information to work, like what WLC, what AP model? what is the code running?

i suggest to look below thread :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/ssid-disappears-and-after-some-seconds-it-appears-again/td-p/3304920

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I have looked through this thread and there is no mention of the device disappearing from AP group. In my case that would be the reason behind ssid not advertising as once AP disappears from AP group it won't advertise the WLANs which are in this AP group. 

WLC  8.3.150.0

AP AIR-AP1832I-E-K9

Thank you.

Regards,

Daniel

thank you for the information

it won't advertise the WLANs which are in this AP group

what is your mean of WLAN ? SSID ?

what you see Logs in the controller and AP  at the time of the issue, did you able to pull the logs ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I think you're missing the point - the AP will only advertise the SSID while it is joined to the controller and in the AP group.

Again we have limited info on your setup but a few thoughts ...

- 8.3.150.0 is very old (many unfixed bugs) - seriously consider moving to latest 8.5 or 8.10 code.

- if you have another WLC then the AP might be roaming to the other WLC(s) which do not have the same AP groups and/or WLANs configured or the WLANs may be configured in a different order which can cause problems on older code (fixed in latest).  So if there is more than 1 WLC make sure they all have the same AP group with the same WLAN (same WLAN ID) and in the same order on the AP group.

- if the AP doesn't appear in the group then it's likely left the WLC for some reason then re-joined.  So connectivity issues and AP crashes are things to consider.  Check logs on WLC and AP like balaji said and run debugs if necessary

I will run debugs next time I am at the site. 

Upgrading to newer firmware is not the option at the moment due to the current firmware being the last which supports APs models 1140 and 1260.

There is no other WLC. The AP was associated to the wlc it only disappeared from AP group for 30-60 seconds and then it has re-appeared.

Thank you.

Regards,

Daniel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: