Views
Helpful
Replies

AP reboots when connection to WLC is lost

Geert Reijnders
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We have a mixed environment of the following AP's connected to a Catalyst 9800-40 controller:

• C9120AXI-E
  • AIR-CAP2702I-E-K9
  • AIR-AP2802I-E-K9
  • AIR-AP1542I-E-K9
  • AIR-AP1852I-E-K9

At most of the sites we use a mixed type of AP's because we are migrating old type AP's to the new ones (C9120AXI).

Last night the connection to the WLC was lost. I noticed that most of the AP's, rebooted after their connection to the WLC was lost. Except for the C9120-AXI-E types. Is this normal behavior? The AP's are configured as flexconnect. I thought that the AP's should stay up. 

The software version we are running is: 17.03.03.

Or is it due to the timer configuration? If capwap is lost, and after the timeout the WLC is still not reachable, the AP reboots? But why doesn't this happen to all AP's?

I hope that some one can help me out.

thanks!

3 Replies 3

Hi 

Which version? Sounds like a bug. 

Not a normal behavior in flexconnect for sure. The bahavior expected is the opposite, stay up.  

Hi Flavio,

The version is 17.3.3.26 on the AP's. I will contact TAC.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- For next time event (if any) enable global and or syslogfrom the access points (too) : https://content.cisco.com/chapter.sjs?uri=/searchable/chapter/content/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/16-12/config-guide/b_wl_16_12_cg/enabling-syslog-messages-in-access-points-and-controller-for-syslog-server.html.xml

then check if anything useful comes up when these access point reboot. For the rest review the current controller configuration with show tech wireless  , and have the output processed by https://cway.cisco.com/tools/WirelessAnalyzer/

(do not use simple show tech-support for the above tool)

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card