cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP2702i AP won't join 9800 vWLC - DLTS handshake error

liormo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I've setup an internal lab which uses the 9800 WLC (on AWS with a VPN to our lab). And now i'm trying to onboard an out of the box 2702i AP.

The join process fails: 

CAPWAP DTLS session closed for AP, cause: DTLS handshake error

* The AP is currently using DHCP 43 option to get the WLC details. are there any other options that needs to be sent (NTP?)

Attached image of packet capture.

Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 11.49.30 PM.png

7 Replies 7

Jurgens L
Level 3
Level 3
Did you ensure you generated a certificate for the AP's on the WLC?

wireless config vwlc-ssc key-size 2048 signature-algo sha256 password 0 <pwd>

Yes, I ran this command before adding the AP. Are there any debug commands which might be useful here?

I haven't logged in to the AP yet . Maybe there are some commands that needs to be executed on the AP before?

You may want to check the syslogs on the WLC otherwise I will suggest getting on the AP cli and see the output. The 9800's come with a 90-day trial license, you can always just double check that under administration > licensing in the GUI.

What kind of license do you have for the AP?

As for the 9800 WLC there is no "add AP license", so the AP needs to have an AIR-DNA license on the smart license portal.

Ralph Olsen
Level 1
Level 1

I did:

clear capwap ap all-config

That worked.

Thanks, this worked for me took me lots of googling to find this answer

clear capwap ap all-config

I first tried clear lwapp private-config and that didn't work at all

ammahend
VIP
VIP

9800 required mandatory smart license for APs to register, might be an issue with licensing, what the smart license status (see image)

-hope this helps-
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card