Views
Helpful
Replies

Apple Macbook client connectivity issue

vijay kumar
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Experts ,

We are having 5508 WLC with code of 7.0.98.218 . We are facing reauthentication issue for Apple MAC clients during roaming. They are prompting for credentials again. Wheras remaining clients and all roaming without any issues.

Kindly suggest on this

19 Replies 19

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

Apple OS X deoesn't support 802.11r or OKC. Its to be expected when roaming with a MAC. iOS on the other hand supports 802.11r. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Is there any workaround option available for the same?

It's how apple handles their wireless. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I agree with George:) The only other thing you can try is to upgrade to the latest v7.0.x

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I have referred the below link and it says , upgrading the apple to 10.9.4 will resolve the roaming issue,

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Wireless/Q_28389889.html

I can't read the entire thread. Give it a shot and report back. Last known testing advance security roaming wasn't  supported other than sticky key. 

we have tried with 10.9.5 clients , but still it gets disconnected . But in the Apple support site they have mentioned clients after 6.0 version supports FT and PMKID caching .

https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT202628

Have you upgraded the controller code?  Has this always been an issue or just started happening? Can you post your show wlan <wlan id> that the apple devices connect to?

-Scott

-Scott

We just noticed this issue now only . And there were no Mac clients previously. As of now we havent upgraded the code of WLC . We will upgrade and tell the status soon

Post your wlan config... there might be a configuration change that is required.

-Scott

-Scott

Scott -- intersted in knowing your thought process. Apple OS X doesn't support security roaming. How will the infrastructure help ?

I have implemented many schools that are 100% Apple and seeing that they are not experiencing issues with roaming makes me think its a configuration issue.  I say this, because in environments with specific end devices, I have different things I know works with those devices and might not work with others.  You can say its a work around or device specific settings, but with code and NIC device/firmware, these can change.  

-Scott

-Scott

But i think his question was about 802.1X roaming. Do you agree or do you know anything about OS X supporting OKC or 802.11r ?

What caught my attention is when the OP mentioned,"We are facing reauthentication issue for Apple MAC clients during roaming. They are prompting for credentials again. Wheras remaining clients and all roaming without any issues."

They shouldn't be prompted to login again.

-Scott

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card