Views
Helpful
Replies

ASK THE EXPERTS:Branch Office Wireless Strategies

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Read the bioWith Jeevan Patil

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to ask how to consolidate your Wireless Branch Network Cisco subject matter expert Jeevan Patil. Mr. Jeevan Patil is a product manager for the Cisco Wireless Controller product portfolio. He has been involved with the wireless industry for over 12 years - since the first days of 802.11 becoming a standard through the evolution to 802.11n. Mr. Patil has been with Cisco for over 12 years. For the first 5 years he was a software engineer working on security, network management and wireless. In the past 7 years he has been the product manager on various initiatives such 802.11n standards, Access Points hardware, Client hardware, CCX, standalone (Autonomous) software, WLSE hardware and software and currently the product line manager on Wireless LAN Controllers.

Remember to use the rating system to let Jeevan know if you have received an adequate response.  

Jeevan might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Other Wireless – Mobility Subjects discussion forum shortly after the event. This event lasts through August 12, 2011. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

25 Replies 25

Hello,

Sorry this is more of a VPN/Security question.

I am not an expert on those areas so want to apologize that i dont have the answer.

Best Regards,

Jeevan

nurcan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jeevan,

Is Office Extend solution (with AP 602) supported with Flex 7500 controllers?

With H-REAP when a client at branch accesses an application in the Data Center is the traffic encrypted ?

I am designing a solution for an university with 200 AP's at main campus and 100 small branch offices with one or two AP's

Branch offices does not already have a VPN connection they have ADSL Internet connection.Client requires to Publish min 5 SSID's to branches.I am thinking about disadvantages and advantages of different solutions,

It seems to me that other than 5 SSID support office extend fits for this university.

With H-Reap

Advantages

• I can have many SSID's published at branches.
  • Supports up to 2000 AP's and 20.000 clients
  • Supports roaming

Disadvantages

• Requires a VPN router at the branch which is an additional cost

With Office-Extend

Advantages

• establishes a tunnel between AP and Controller so extra VPN box is not required
  • AP 602 has LAN ports for corporate and local access

Disadvantages

• Only 2 SSID support
  • No roaming
  • Limited number of clients supported.

Hello,

Currently the Flex7500 does not support DTLS (and therefore Office-extend with any model). Over time with a software upgrade we will do so.

That said you have a couple of options already - the 5508 and the WiSM2. The additional advantage of those two platforms is that they also support local mode unlike the Flex7500.

So you can manage your 200 APs in the campus in local mode as well as 100-200 APs in the branch with locally switched Flex on the same Controller.

Regards,

Jeevan

unnikannanvj
Level 1
Level 1

Point to Point 1410 Wireless Bridge Configuration

Hi Team

Could you please share the point to point wireless connectivity configration procedure using 1410 bridges either using GUI/CLI .

We have setup this in one of our Client sites.

Awaiting your reply.

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Unni Kannan

Systems Engineer

Please take a look at the configuration guide - that is your best bet:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/bridge/1400/12.3_8_JA/configuration/guide/p38rf.html#wp1035389

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Jeevan,

I am new on wireless network

I need to setup lab to learn wi fi.

Can you please recommend what AP  i should buy?

Thanks

MAhesh

Hi Mahesh,

Cisco has a broad portfolio of choices for the Access Points and Controllers. If you are simply buying for your house trying to prepare for CCIE wireless or something then you can pick a product like the 1040. If you are trying to learn the best so your company can adopt the latest standard then go for the 3500.

-If you want a standalone(autonomous mode) Access Point which supports 802.11n technology and simply want to get a rock solid stability with good rate and range then go for the AP1040 or 1140. Remember these APs are deigned for being installed in the ceiling and so the propagation will be according to that.

-If you simply want to learn about CAPWAP then get the same AP1040 along with a WLC2100 or 2500

-You could select the external antenna AP such as the 1240 and get dipoles if you want to learn further about how coverage varies with different types of antennas

-To learn the best features and the most functionality go for the AP3500 which has many industry-leading features such as CleanAir, ClientLink, Bandselect, Videostream etc.

I find wireless is really exciting even after 6+ years here - plenty to learn...Good luck!

Best Regards,

Jeevan

NickFallman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jeevan,

We  are planning to deploy current release Wireless Control System (WCS) on  HP ProLiant DL385 G7 6128 (2 x Opteron 6128 with 8 GB RAM). But Release Notes for Cisco Wireless Control System says that WSC doesn't supported on Windows 64-bit OS's. LAN  configuration include: 2500 series controller, 2 Catalyst 3750G series  switches in stack, 20 APs 1140 series (LAP-version), etc. Total number  of wired users ~400.

Total number of wireless users ~100. 

1) What is the best OS software configuration for this server?

2) What about Cisco plans for WCS migration to 64-bit software platforms?

Hi Valentine,

Please take a look at the WCS release notes & the datasheet for guidance on the server specification. Windows 2003 server is the only Windows Operating System supported by WCS today

There are no plans for WCS to support a 64 bit architecture. That said please consider migrating to Cisco Prime NCS – it’s delivered as an appliance – physical or virtual and does have a 64 bit OS architecture underneath.

Best Regards,

Jeevan

Hi Jeevan,

How many AP in h-reap mode recommend with WAN link 512k ? i have read in document it show h-reap mode must requirement minimum link is 128k for connect to wlc but i don't know this requirement for 1 ap or all ap to connect across WAN to register and send traffic across WAN ? . Because now i have 2 site HQ -> Branch (link 512k) it can use for this solution. WLC stay @ HQ and 25 APs in Brach office.

thank you for best supprt.

Hi Siriphan,

If both b/w and link latencies are ok; we should be ok to support 10 APs and 50 clients per branch with locally switched Flexconnect.

Regards,

Jeevan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card