cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

at Wlc I am trying to use dhcp on itself.

CCC3
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

I am using WLC9800-40.

I want to use DHCP on the WLC and not on the DHCP server or switch.

Please tell me what settings I need to do.

and
Whether reserved only should be checked.

Please tell me what value to put in the ipv4 helper address.

thank you.

10 Replies 10

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check this document : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/config-guide/b_wl_16_10_cg/dhcp-for-wlans.html  , but I advice to use an external DHCP server ,

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

I also looked at the documentation, but it's pretty lacking in content.

And the use of internal dhcp is a customer's request, so it can't be helped.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree with marce.... don't do it on the controller, keep dhcp standard, if you have a dhcp server, then use that.  I think you will end up with more issues if you use the controller.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

the use of internal dhcp is a customer's request, so it can't be helped.

Okay... So search the internet for, "cisco 9800 internal dhcp server" and you will find some blogs and videos on how to use the 9800 internal dhcp.

WN Blog 007 - Cisco Catalyst 9800 - Internal DHCP Server Config - WiFi Ninjas - Podcasts & Blogs

(205) DHCP SERVER IN 9800 WLC (Hindi)#cisco #wireless #9800 - YouTube

-Scott

thank you

so, Management vlan is 90 (10.10.90.x)

user's wireless band.
This is vlan 11, 10.10.11.0.

Then, which vlan should be set to the policy?

And do I have to open all ports 67 and 68 in the firewall?

Do you have a controller in the lab you can test with?  As far as the firewall, you wouldn't have to open any ports if the aps are in local mode or flex with central dhcp.  Have you reviewed the blogs and videos as that shows you what you need to do step by step.

-Scott

DHCP options are not supported in Internal DHCP server in 9800. So, if you have a scenario where WMI and AP Mgmt are 2 different VLANs you will not be able to use option 43 to advertise WMI IP to APs. You may have to use DNS in that case.

Also it is not recommended that you have the WLC WMI and AP Mgmt in the same VLAN when you have more than 100 APs. Even though it is less than 100 Cisco still recommends maintaining 2 different VLANs for WMI and AP mgmt.

Conclusion, Internal DHCP server is available as a feature in 9800, but it only serves unique use cases such as if you have an ad-hoc requirement to enable a WLAN, for Guest users etc. Also, when internal DHCP server is used in crowded deployment please keep an eye on the WLC CPU/Memory usage as it may get increased during busy hours. So as others recommended, I would recommend trying to convince the customer to provide a dedicated DHCP server.

Thank you for answer.

Both wlc and ap mgmt are using the same vlan 90,
You want to use vlan 11, which differs only in user radio bands.

And before changing to 9800
Since I was using internal dhcp with 5508, recommending a dhcp server seems unlikely.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: