Views
Helpful
Replies

Automatic Channel Assignment Mode (DCA)

Almarez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I would like to ask for your understanding on DCA section. Our current setting on Channel Assignment Method is Automatic and the interval set is 10 minutes. This works for both b/g and a radios. So I'm understanding that the controller should be changing the channel of all APs automatically for every 10 minutes.

But I checked my running config on WLC Config Analyzer and found out that the last channel change for all radios have only changed at least days ago. Some radio's latest changes were November 2019. So I'm really confused on this concept.

Regards,

Almarez

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
IF there is the need to change the channels, then change after 10 minutes.

Read below document to understand how DCA works

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-1/mobility_express/b_RRM_White_Paper/b_RRM_White_Paper_chapter_0100.html 

It is not necessary to change all AP channel in every 10min (it would be so distruptive). RRM algorithm look at highlevel and make channel changes if that new channel plan provide significant improvement (eg 5dB) to worst performing AP. if not they will not initiate a channel change.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses *** 

Chris McCann
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

I have my DCA coming up as N.A even though its set to 10minutes automatic, should I be concerned by this or is this expected if a channel change has never occurred ?

@Chris McCann - what WLC model, what version of software and where exactly are you seeing N.A? (screenshot or CLI output details)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card