Views
Helpful
Replies

Autonomous AP & WDS

Yong Peng
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am going to deploy 5 APs with PEAP, the users will be authenticated by ACS and Windows AD.

I am not sure if I should deply WDS for better roaming.

Is WDS mandatory to such situation?

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would configure WDS if you were to be using any type of EAP authentication.

When a client attempts to associate to an infrastructure AP, the infrastructure AP passes the credentials of the user to the WDS for validation. If the WDS sees the credentials for the first time, WDS turns to the authentication server to validate the credentials. The WDS then caches the credentials, in order to eliminate the need to return to the authentication server when the same user attempts authentication again. Examples of re-authentication include:

• Re-keying

• Roaming

• When the user starts up the client device

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_example09186a00801c951f.shtml#backinfo

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Thanks.

Although WDS is not mandatory, I will configure it on autonomous AP.

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I wouldn't say that WDS is mandatory in a situation with EAP and IOS AP, but I would definitely say that it is highly recommended.

If you don't use WDS, evertime the device roams, it's going to go through the full 16 way handshake back to the AAA server.

With WDS, on a roam it will only need to do a 4-way handshake to the WDS master. Until the key timer expires, but that is by design and a good thing.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Got it!

Thanks!

If I could add my two pennys. Once your WDS is set up run debugs to make sure its working properly before deploying in production.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: