cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

backup and restore of virtual wireless controller

um1
Level 1
Level 1

I want to move vWLC from one data centre to another. VMWARE clustering or Vmotion is not present. what is the best way to do it keeping all the configurations same and not loosing AP licenses.

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Can't you just shutdown the vWLC and ftp (or sftp) the 'machine file' to the new VMWARE environment (e.g,) ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Couple of options:

1. Snapshot

2. Shut down VM, copy the VM files and physically move them to new DC, fire up VM and probably need to make IP changes

3. from the vWLC take a config backup, in stall new vWLC in new DC and then restore the config from the backup and probably need to change IP addresses as well.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

thanks Haydn for the options. Which approach will be best to make sure licenses are not lost.
In option 2 which files to be copied ?

Spoiler
Option 1 and 2 will take license files with it.
Option 2 you will have to look where vmware has stored the virtual machine. 

Option 3 you will need to reinstall the files.
*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Haydn,

while options 1 and 2 sounds logically reasonable but i couldnt find any cisco documentation using these two approaches. I have to do it for an enterprise SMB customer and dont want to do something which is not Cisco's best practice.

With option 3 in mind, how do we transfer license files from the old controller to the new if the customer doesnt have the tac support or login which was used to map the license with vWLC UID

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card