cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Block SSID of others controllers

Spinzon84
Level 1
Level 1

Im trying to restrict or block others SSID from other controllers with my WC 2504, it is possible to do that? To make our clients not to see others SSID that are not configured on my WC?

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

yes and no....

You can't block the clients from seeing the SSID from the WLC. 

The client are going to see any SSID that is in their area.

You could look into some RF film on windows to help restrict what they can see.

Is there an issue with your users connecting to incorrect SSIDs?

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

We need our clients cant  connect to others SSID outside of our network. But we need a feature to do it with discretion and our clients can't notice.

ngkin2010
Level 7
Level 7
Hello,

You cannot block other SSID, but you could jam the rogue AP by wireless controller. However, it may bring some LEGAL ISSUE that you should really think before act.

If I were you, I would check the RSSI of the rogue AP to estimate whether it is installed within your facility or not. And try to locate it, and remove it. If it is not within your facility, you better ignore it if there is no impact to your users.

Please refer to the previous community post: https://community.cisco.com/t5/other-wireless-mobility-subjects/rogue-ap-question/td-p/1379392

The easier way if the clients are SOE based type clients might be to do this with the wireless suppliant on the device like Cisco Anyconnect Network Access Manager, where you can restrict what SSID they can connect to, if your corporate SSIDs are available. This might also be able to be done using group policies etc.

If the other SSIDs are managed by your own infrastructure you could look at AP Groups and WLAN IDs above 16 and selectively where you advertise them, and AP power levels.

If they are from other companies SSIDs, as WiFi is an unlicensed spectrum your options are limited:

There is a feature to contain rogue APs - this does have some LEGAL ramifications to it, as you are launching a DOS attack against their network. If the AP is physically inside your facility (your owned or rented space/ not the floor above or next door) you would be able to use this feature, but normally easier to just find the AP and turn it off.

The other option would be RF film on the windows, however this has other issues, like attenuating cell/mobile service which could cause other issues/ complaints.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: