cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridge and Workgroup Bridge

ajarina
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 bridges to connect 2 buildings. Then I replace the 2nd bridge with a workgroup bridge. Bridge act as root and access-point and they both use a 12 DBi omnidirectional mast mount. On the workgroup end, I have 5 workstations and I can ping to the next end with an average reply of 3ms. The problem is that the workgroup nodes cant use the Lotus notes email this time and it only timed. Is it an email problem or it is that bridge and workgroup doesnt work for interbuilding connectivity?

5 Replies 5

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Often times complex troubleshooting issues are best addressed in an interactive trouble-shooting session with one of our trained technical assistance engineers. While other forum users may be able to help, it’s often difficult to do so for this type of issue.

To utilize the resources at our Technical Assistance Center, please visit http://www.cisco.com/tac and to open a case with one of our TAC engineers, visit http://www.cisco.com/tac/caseopen

If anyone else in the forum has some advice, please reply to this thread.

Thank you for posting.

ED CARMODY
Level 4
Level 4

How far apart are the buildings? The WGB will only work out to 1 mile (1.3 k).

What is your packet loss like? Notes doesn't like it when you drop packets.

Did the setup work with 2 Ethernet bridges? If so, distance is too far. The BR's compensate timing to account for distance.

It is really true about WGB? I have tested installation where WGB operates on distance 8 km and it's working very well...

Distance should not be a problem then if its ok with 1.3km since its just 200m more or less. And its now back to normal after we replace it back to bridge. I also have tried setting the distance to 1 km to adjust its timing. The problem is still a question for me. Im not sure but maybe because were using Lotus Notes, havent tried Microsoft Outlook either...

The old scenario was: my network neighborhood, ping and connection to Lotus Notes was fine not until I try to send email in which it lags for a long time til connection drops.

massimo_galli
Level 1
Level 1

Your Lotus client work before change?

Is it configured for netbios or TCP/IP protocol?

In Bridge is Spanning Tree enabled?

Try to set only TCP/IP protocol (File / User preferences ...)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card