Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BSSID Export from Prime or WLC

Good morning,

I have been tasked with collecting the BSSID's for all of our AP's for a Team's Telephony project.  I can't seem to find an easy way to export them all.  Prime has the base radio MAC's, but not the BSSID's that I can tell.  Is there a way to do a CLI capture for all nodes?  It seems to only allow you to search one at a time and that is just for one band at a time as well.

Regards,

Chuck

7 Replies 7

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Follow the below post https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/where-are-ap-bssid-s-listed/td-p/2259920 

Or run around with a sidekick, filter out and export the bssid's for ssid's required.

Or ask them why they need the info, is it really essential?

Are they trying to do something stupid like create a static permitted BSSID list? (which will only cause problems later on when something changes)

If they want to secure things then use something standard like 802.1x because anyone can fake/spoof a BSSID if they want to anyway.

It is essential.  We are working a project that will be eliminating desk phones in lieu of Teams and E911 requirements are in play.  Folks calling 911 will generally not be predators doing any spoofing, but thanks for the input.  To your point about the static BSSID's, I don't know if the BSSID's ever change, say on a controller reboot?  If they do then this process would have to be completely redone.  I'm hoping they just need the base radio MAC, but it sounds like that is not the case since they will need to know what SSID they are connecting to.  There may be more to come on that.  

The SSIDs you can see directly on the WLC under WLANs. If you have several WLANs, then you have to check controller by controller. I don't know of another quicker and reliable way. But I anyway hope that you don't have more than 3-5 SSIDs. 

Or do you need the MAC Address of each AP radio/BSSID?

Hello,

Same project... e911.  I gave them all AP Base Radio MAC's.  Did you ever find a solution for this?

Thank you!

Mr. Basch,

I found my other post which included my resolution.  Hope this helps.

"What I ended up doing was an export from Prime filtering on the 30 floor tower we are looking at.  I then removed the extraneous columns and from the CLI I did a show ap wlan 802.11a and b to validate what the BSSID's were.  In Excel I ran  a formula against the base radio MAC's (=REPLACE(start text,17,1, "1").  This took the first cell where the data was to change, moved to the seventeenth character, only removed 1 character, and replaced it with a 1.  Since all of the BSSID's ended with the same character on that band I did the old faithful click and drag all the way down the column to apply it to the 280 AP's, then repeated it for the 802.11b band.  It worked perfectly.  Thanks again for the replies."

Regards,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck,

I don't know when it happened, or if you are using the same tool, but we are using Microsoft Teams.  It turns out they now support a * wildcard character for the last two digits of the Base MAC and that worked.

Just posting this here in case somebody else stumbles into the same issue in 2024. 

Thanks again!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card