Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BVI1 IP address vs CAPWAP IP address - AP 1552e and WLC 2504

Hi!

I have a 2504 WLC with 60 APs, after a power outage which affected some devices, 4 of the APs changed their IP address, it's supposed they had a static one, but I'm seeing as showed below:

AP16#show capwap ip config

LWAPP Static IP Configuration
IP Address 10.16.220.16
IP netmask 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway 10.16.1.1

AP16#

AP16#show ip int brief

(cut some outputs)
Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol
BVI1 10.16.8.95 YES DHCP up up
AP16#
AP16#show run inter bvi1
!
interface BVI1
ip address dhcp client-id BVI1
no ip route-cache
end

AP16#

The IP that is using the AP is the one in the BVI1 interface, but it should have the one in the CAPWAP config, in the controller GUI it's configured to have the IP as static, not sure why it changed.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

First you should chekc if  the DHCP scope does not overlap with some static IPs that are being already used by some other APs.

Normally If the AP loses connectivity to the WLC, it will try to use the DHCP ip address instead of the statically configured IP address. 

• Which software version you are using on WLC?
  • APs are in local or HREAP mode?

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

First you should chekc if  the DHCP scope does not overlap with some static IPs that are being already used by some other APs.

Normally If the AP loses connectivity to the WLC, it will try to use the DHCP ip address instead of the statically configured IP address. 

• Which software version you are using on WLC?
  • APs are in local or HREAP mode?

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Hi Sandeep, thanks for your response.

Your second statement is the reponse to my question. Those APs lost connectivity to the wlc and then they got a dhcp IP address, though they are configured with a static one. So if that's the normal behaviour, I'm ok.

Thanks!

yes that happens offen.

It's better if you make a dhcp reservation for the mac address, that way this won't happen (if the same IP address is important).
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card