cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C1410BR and Trunking

kwonza
Level 1
Level 1

We are running C1410 PP links. One bridge connected to C3550, the other to a Media Converter with fiber running to another MC into a C3550 switch. Had an issue when I tried to configure VLANs on bridges, couldn't pass traffic through trunk ports on switches. Below is my switch trunk config...

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

no ip address

duplex full

speed 100

spanning-tree portfast

I have the same config for my C1200 AP's, with management VLAN plus others. Not using MC though. I was assuming that MC would just pass all traffic through?

2 Replies 2

dewman03
Level 1
Level 1

When you set up the bridges you must configure your switches on either end for trunking. Imagine the bridges arent even there, and set it up as if it we a trunk inbetween 2 switches. For the bridge config, you can only have one ssid, but you need multiple vlans. Set up the one ssid and set up every vlan you want allowed over the trunk in the bridges. I had to configure 4 vlans on my bridges. (One management VLAN, 3 user vlans that are used on the switch)

The bridges would NOT pass any vlan traffic they didnt know about, so i added every vlan that would be traveling across the trunk connection to the bridge config. Now it works. Hope that helps

For the switch config try this:

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 5

switchport trunk allowed vlan 5,10,11,12,13

switchport mode trunk

(VLAN numbers may not match your configuration)

Yes, I did configure the switches for trunking. So you think using media converters on one end shouldn't have any effect on trunking and passing VLAN traffic?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card