Replies

C9115AXI-EWC-E Mixed with AP 1852i ME

beconnect
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

we have an ME deployment with two1852i 

now we bought 4x C9115AXI-EWC-E  

can you tell me if its better to create the Ewc new deployment and then join 1852i as “members” of the new “cluster”? ( assuming upgrade to 8.10 on the ME)

Are they compatible or should I leave the ME as it is , and create a new enviroment with the new 9115?

regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

48 Replies 48

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I think you are okay either way.  Just depends on how much work you want to do.  You can always just add the new ap's to the cluster and then promote one of the ap's later.  

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Prince.O
Spotlight
Spotlight

EWC gives you new features and functionality , I would go with the 9115 as the embedded controller and have the 1852 joined as the lightweight Ap vs other way around , this is supported.. see deployment guide below:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-on-catalyst-access-points/215303-embedded-wireless-controller-conversion.html

beconnect
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Alll

thanks for the help. 

Seems cllear that we should go for the EWC cisco's 9115 as main controller and remove the old ME. 

We should convert the old 1852i to Capwap to be able to join the "new EWC" correct?

What image versions are supported to have  cisco 1852i to "talk" with EWC ?

Regards

My advice is if you are mixing AP generations (AP1852 is Gen5 and C9115 is Gen6) try to reduce the overlapped areas at most between them, becuase otherwise clients could disconnect while roaming due to the differences in the re-association packet with regards of the previous ocnnection, thus potentially making user experience to be impacted, for example during meetings or voice calls.

You can opt to split AP model by floors or separated areas, or mix them in non-critical office spaces.

HTH

Hi

Thanks for the help

Indeed I am going to  separate Wifi zones. Enabling 2 different vlans for old and new deployment.

Regards

Can you clarify what you mean by separate WiFi zones?  If for example you have one floor and on the left is the older ap's and on the right are the newer ap's, why would you separate them using vlans?  I don't know why you would want to do that, and especially if you are talking about clients, because roaming will break if a device roams from one to another.  Maybe I'm not understanding your end design.

-Scott

Hi 

In the first thinking, there was a possible mix with old 1852i in the same building, that i think it was not good , likely because of the different technology of 1852 regarding 9115.

But now , we do not have more that problem, since we are going to use the "new solution" in a different building with a new SSID and for that a new Vlan.

For you is good and possible to have a mix of  9115 and 1852i? same SSID? 

If it's possible you can do that, but we have to convert 20x 1852i , removing the "ME" and put them under the EWC. That could be a good practice, if the conversion works good, because in that scenario we will have only one VLAN and one SSID , avoiding Roaming situations

Regards

In an overall design, you want to limit the number of SSID's no matter what.  Also, when you look at the overall picture, you want consistency.  You want to have the same SSID's on all building and the same plans in all building, that is how 99.99% of folks do it.  That way a user can go from one building to another without having to figure out what SSID to connect to.  Also for support, having plans the same makes it easy.  Wired corp on vlan x, guest on vlan x and whatever on vlan x.

-Scott

Good.
So..

Can I convert existing 1852i and 1832i to be managed by the new EWC 9115?

Can you share the image that we need to run on the old ones ?

If so I will convert all the old ones , removing the ME and create the EWC with the new Cisco 9115.

Thanks

emuman100
Level 1
Level 1

Like the post above, what image is required for client APs on an EWC? Is is CAPWAP?

Thanks.

Prince.O
Spotlight
Spotlight

The image depends on the AP model in use, refer to the link below , it has instructions on how to convert to EWC as well as which image is required for each supported AP model : 
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-on-catalyst-access-points/215303-embedded-wireless-controller-conversion.html
In summary , you will have to download the .zip file from CCO and it will include all supported images

I followed this link for my first EWC AP. These instructions have you load the EWC image and the embedded WLC controller image. I configured it and it's running EWC and the AP the EWC is running on is the first associated AP of the EWC. That part is clear, but what is not clear is what image the other client APs have to have. 

Do you simply load the EWC firmware image (eg. ap1g7) or do you load a CAPWAP image since it's running a 9800 WLC as an EWC? In the documentation, that wasn't very clear.

Thanks.

The readme file in the zip has instructions.  If you use the bin file, then that will allow that ap to be a controller, the other files is if you want to allow the ap to join.  Take a look at the readme file and that should clear it up.

-Scott

The readme does not mention anything. I know how to load an image and I know I need an external TFTP server, but I still don't know *which* image to load on a client AP, whether an EWC image without the WLC image or a CAPWAP image. I can't really find anything on it in the documentation. 

In the Linux, it shows that it loads capwapd, so do client APs need to be CAPWAP?

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card