Views
Helpful
Replies

C9117axi PoE/Low Power (degraded mode)

Ohiopyro
Level 1
Level 1

Folks,

I have recently purchased a Catalyst C9117AXI-EWC-B access point. I have been slowly finding out what this does. I have read almost everything that has been written about these but I have a couple configuration questions. First I see something confusing. I am using an AIR-PWRINJ6 and I am getting an error PoE/Low Power (degraded mode). I have tried to make an SSID strictly 5ghz and turn off the 2.4 ghz radio. I was able to do so but the signal is very weak even at close range. Unfortunately it turns off the 2.4 to other SSID's. I have tried to use 802.11a in the WLAN profile but unless I am sitting next to it I have no usable signal. Am I thinking about this all wrong? I am trying to configure an SSID for the Apple products on my network according to the best practices documentation I have read. It says to make sure I use only the 5Ghz n/ac/ax. I am confused on how to do so with a decent signal. I saw a newer firmware than what was shipped with my unit. I purchased the service contract for this unit as I always do for the first unit on my network. I am running 16.12.4.31 and the newer firmware is 17.5.1.It looked like there might be more radio band controls in the newer FW. Please help.

11 Replies 11

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

First of all, this needs to be fixed:

AIR-PWRINJ6 and I am getting an error PoE/Low Power (degraded mode)

The adapter you use is the supported one. Make sure to disable PoE on the switchport you have it attached to, if the switch also provides PoE.

I think after this is solved, all the other issues should go away.

Hi,

I am using a 2960s 24port switch model without poe. This is why I am so confused.

Scott

Very weird, then I would try to replace the cables. There is also the small chance of a firmware bug, but haven't read about it recently and as you tried two different firmwares, it's also very unlikely. 

I am out of town for a couple days. I will try new cables when I get back. If that doesn't work should I try firmware version 17.5.1 ? Just from the release notes it seemed to me that there is more controls over the ax radio connections. Did I read that wrong?

That is possible, but as it's anyway the same radio as the one for AC (unless I'm mistaken here), I don't expect any changes.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- A final option might be to try another AIR-PWRINJ6  , if available.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

1. Upgrade to 17.5.1 to make sure you've resolved any possible bugs in early versions.

2. Resolve the power problem before you start messing around with radio settings - like Pat said you need to get that fixed.

Try a different power injector, try replacing the cables.

Ohiopyro
Level 1
Level 1

Ok,

So I got home and picked up a new non Cisco POE+ 802.3at injector. I installed it with 2 new cables and here is my issue. I am not as impressed with this unit as I should be.

Cisco9117error.jpg

If you look at the datasheet https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9100ax-access-points/datasheet-c78-741989.html#Productspecifications this might actually be correct as per design.

Disable the USB port and go back to the AIR-PWRINJ6 to make sure your injector supports CDP.

And then see what it says?

Also check the full console logs on power-up - it should tell you what it has requested and received and what the power status is.  The GUI can be prone to cosmetic bugs so I trust the CLI more than GUI.

But as per the data sheet full power is UPOE (not POE+) so I'd guess that with POE+ and USB enabled it's gone to 4x4 radio mode = low power degraded mode ...

You know the saying about reading the manual - check the power requirements before you buy/use the AP LOL

I will check through cli. By default the USB should be off. I have only used the gui and see no way to turn it on. The injector I bought to test is 802.3at which is 30 watt poe+. The air-pwrinj6 is rated for 802.3at which is what the data sheet calls for using full power. 

Ohiopyro
Level 1
Level 1

I upgraded the firmware to the latest 17.5.1 and all is well. The injector low power message is gone and all works as it should. I forgot to post after I fixed it. Thank you to all that had suggestions. I just need to figure out how to boost the 5ghz signal power, I am sure there is a guide somewhere. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card