Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9800-L Alarm LED issue

HI all

The two c9800-ls are ha deployed, and the alarm LED of the primary device is in red. I checked the relevant information,

Table 4. Alarm LED IndicatorsColorDescription

Blinking Green

Controller image upgrade

Amber

or 

Controller status activity, such as firmware upgrade

Red

Controller error. For example, a temperature error exists.

Note 

When only one TenGig port is connected an alarm is triggered and the ALARM LED is always on and red. This does not occur when only one mGig port is connected.

Rps-Cheers_3-1622800996903.gif

Note

The Cisco Catalyst 9800-L Wireless Controller has an external power adapter.

The Alarm Bell LED is illuminated red, if the 10-G uplink ports are not connected to the switch. This does not mean a system or hardware failure.

This is in line with my situation, because the 10g uplink port is not connected to the switch, and only the primary device will have the alarm LED red. Is it because in Ha environment, only the primary device will reflect this situation?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rps-Cheers | If it solves your problem, please mark as answer. Thanks !
5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
That is correct and will be red unless the 10g port is used. Something to just get use to.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Therefore, in the HA environment, only the active device will display the alarm led as red, right?

Maybe, but I have two in N+1 with both alarm led showing red.  I use to have them in SSO a while back and removed them, so really can't recall, but it really doesn't matter to me as I already know that I'm not using those ports.  If you only have the active showing red, fail them over and see if the other controller shows alarm led as red when it takes over.

-Scott

Yes, no instructions from Cisco were found. This is a good method!

Really the only way to know for yourself.  I would assume that any controller would have a alarm led if the mgig or 10gig is not connected.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card