Views
Helpful
Replies

C9800-L-F-K9

abinaya.2.r
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a brand new C9800-L-F-K9. I ahve this planned to connect to a switch C9300. On the datasheet, i see 2x 10G/Multigigabit fiber ports and also 4 X  Quad RJ-45 2.5G/1G Multigigabit Ethernet ports.  

My question is,  on the switch port connecting to the WLC can be just a copper port here or only SFP port is supported?

And also what is the use of the 2x 10G/Multigigabit fiber ports and 4 X  Quad RJ-45 2.5G/1G Multigigabit Ethernet ports.

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

mGIG is a copper port so the switch needs to support mGIG as well.  

abinaya.2.r
Level 1
Level 1

NO. As per datasheet, it says 2x 10G/Multigigabit fiber ... So, It is a  fiber port only as per my understanding.

My question is what's is the use of the 4 X  Quad RJ-45 2.5G/1G Multigigabit Ethernet ports.  And can i use these ports to connect to the switch C9300 with a copper connectivity. 

It provides options for folks to use one or the other. With the four 1G/2.5G ports, you can have multiple ap management interfaces if that is what you want for your design, or maybe just use the gig ports because you don’t really need to use 10G.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks.

So i can use any of the 4 X  Quad RJ-45 2.5G/1G Multigigabit Ethernet ports from the WLC connecting to the cisco 9300 switch with a  copper connection say port gi1/0/12 on the switch. 

Can be done but the speed negotiated will be 1 Gbps only since the switch can only support 1 Gbps.

Yes, but why don’t you try/test out what you want/plan to do? Why did you choose the 9800-L-F vs the 9800-L-C? This choice was part of your design and now don’t plan on using the ports?
-Scott

I donot have a lab device to test. The devices were procured  by customer. And we both need to finalize the design and i have to configure that. Customer have not procured any SFP for the WLC connectivity. So, I wanted to confirm on a solution by providing copper connection to the switch. 

Of course the ports would work, my question is, if you go 10gig later, is the probability higher for copper or fiber. That helps your customer in the future if the right decision was made during the design.
-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: