cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9800 multiple site tags design

Mirek_Tichy
Level 1
Level 1

We have about 300 branch offices with 1-50 flex connect APs. Most of them has 1-4 APs. Should I configure an unique site tag for each office or can I combine branches into a smaller number of site tag and not to exceed the maximum of 100 AP/ST ?

There about 1000 APs at all, WLAN local and central switching.

Thx. Mirek

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

What I eman is that we have small offices per country (France, Germany, Portugal, Spain,...) and I have created a site tag per country (FR-CLIENT-SITE) which I assigned an unique Flex profile (FR-CLIENT-FLEX) with the VLAN mapping, and then you assign that site tag to APs in that small office in the country.

This per-country-site-tag is to avoid going beyond 100 APs per Site Tag, which is a best practice.

I've managed to setup 120 and 155 APs under the same Site tag without any problem, BUT this is not TAC recommended setting so you can end up with an issue and then TAC will tell you to follow BP first.

HTH
-Jesus
*** Please rate helpful responses ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

Yes you can configure them like that.

I have a site tag per country for small offices with just a bunch of APs that share the same topology (native VLAN and WLAN-2-VLAN mapping) and it all works fine.

HTH
-Jesus

Hi Jesus. So do you mean to combine sites into several site tags?

I forgott to tell that all of the 300 branches has the same flex connect configuration. We don't use local authentication and we don't need a standalon mode operation.

Currently at 5520 we have flex profiles acording the frirst letter of the site town because one flex profile can contain up to 100 APs.

Mirek

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

What I eman is that we have small offices per country (France, Germany, Portugal, Spain,...) and I have created a site tag per country (FR-CLIENT-SITE) which I assigned an unique Flex profile (FR-CLIENT-FLEX) with the VLAN mapping, and then you assign that site tag to APs in that small office in the country.

This per-country-site-tag is to avoid going beyond 100 APs per Site Tag, which is a best practice.

I've managed to setup 120 and 155 APs under the same Site tag without any problem, BUT this is not TAC recommended setting so you can end up with an issue and then TAC will tell you to follow BP first.

HTH
-Jesus

OK Jesus.Many thanks.

Mirek

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card