cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a 1542I Outdoor AP join an EWC deployment?

williamrg
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was reading this white paper link and I see that the 1540 and 1560 series outdoor APs can become subordinates of an EWC AP. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-catalyst-access-points/white-paper-c11-743398.html

Per the subordinate explanation, a subordinate AP cannot become a wireless controller but can be managed by the EWC.

However, reading the Cisco Software compatibility matrix, it doesn't list any outdoor APs in the EWC section (compared to the 9800 WLC section).

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html#pgfId-590411

Can someone shed some light on this? Do I have any outdoor AP options with EWC?

Thank you,

W

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes you can manage these outdoor AP as subordinate to EWC.

Regards

Dont forget to arte helpful posts

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes you can manage these outdoor AP as subordinate to EWC.

Regards

Dont forget to arte helpful posts

Thank you, Sandeep. Good to know! I tried joining a new - fresh out of the box 1542I and I was having a hard time.

I was getting a version mismatch error which I looked into and addressed. 

[*06/02/2021 06:01:55.7140] CAPWAP State: Image Data
[*06/02/2021 06:01:55.7357] AP image version 8.10.130.0 backup 16.12.3.13, Controller 17.3.2.32
[*06/02/2021 06:01:55.7358] Version does not match.

I uploaded (to the AP) the ap1g5 file from the bundle of the current EWC version and voila.

Cheers.
"

Hello williamrg, can you please let me know how you uploaded the ap1g5 file to the 1542i in order to get it to join your new EWC? Im running into the same issue with an 1832i which is also capable of being a subordinate in an EWC install. This 1832 came from a mobility express environment, but I factory reset this ap before trying to put it in my new EWC environment. I tried doing an archive download reload command and grab the ap1g4 file, which is the one the 1832 needs, however im not sure im putting in the correct commands. It grabs the image, reloads the ap, but when I do a show version its still showing ME 8.5.131. I think im trying to do the same thing you did on the 1542, just cant seem to get it going. Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card