cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a Cisco 9100 Series EWC working side by side with another WLC?

Rizky Chandra
Level 1
Level 1

Can a Cisco 9100 Series EWC working side by side with another WLC within the same network?

Hi, I'm very new about cisco products and don't have enough knowledge about wireless controller. I have a project with a Cisco 5508 WLC and 10 pieces 9115 Access Points, and I already know that both of them cannot work with each other, so my logical solutions that I can think of is using a single 9115 Access Point as a Embedded Wireless Controller to add and configure the other 9.

Will it make a problem if I do that? what do I have to do to configure or bypass the problem if there is one?
Thanks

-Rizky

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes it can work parallelly.  but roaming will not work between these two different kind of WLCs.

My recommendation: To be safe, just separate the legacy(5508) and new networks(9115). This way you don’t get any AP’s bouncing around especially if one controller goes down.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes it can work parallelly.  but roaming will not work between these two different kind of WLCs.

My recommendation: To be safe, just separate the legacy(5508) and new networks(9115). This way you don’t get any AP’s bouncing around especially if one controller goes down.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Alright, Thanks.
I haven't tried it yet but logically speaking it kinda does make sense to me, I will give you an update once I start working on it

Hi there @Sandeep Choudhary, the update on my project was a success. thank you very much on your help, yes I tried the roaming and it doesn't work. again, Thank you very much on your help!!!

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Like @Sandeep Choudhary says keep them separate - do not put them on the same subnet/vlan which is strictly not supported and will cause problems.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card